Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guy's I need my carb flowed and not sure where or who talk to. SOOOOO.............does any one know of a good shop. The reason I want to know is that the previous owner of my car told me that this carb flowed 1000cfm. The carb is a 750 Holley that supposedly he sent to carb shop to have it trick out. But I would like to know for myself. Plus if it's to small I am going to replace it now B 4 the motor gets finished.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
For what your doing with your wagon I'd say Pro Systems or maybe the Carb Shop or Sean Murphy Induction. There are lots of carb guys out there I guess it boils down to who you feel comfortable with thats gonna give you what you want honestly with no BS and the price is right.

P.S. that monster should have a sheetmetal tunnel ram!!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If it works, what's the difference? It's the same with head flow numbers--you can stick a head on your engine that claims huge flow numbers and the car slows down! Send your carb to 10 places, and you'll get at least 8 different numbers. Send your heads to 10 places, and you might never see them again! hehehe.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P.S. that monster should have a sheetmetal tunnel ram!!!!!
Oh trust me as soon as the head's come back. I will be sending the head's & the block off to have a sheet meatal tunnel ram made for this monster.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it works, what's the difference? It's the same with head flow numbers--you can stick a head on your engine that claims huge flow numbers and the car slows down! Send your carb to 10 places, and you'll get at least 8 different numbers. Send your heads to 10 places, and you might never see them again! hehehe.
And besides I don't want to get this motor up on the dyno stand to find out that this carb is undersized. Even though my engine builder does have access to a Dominator. I rather have my own

·
Registered
769 Posts
And besides I don't want to get this motor up on the dyno stand to find out that this carb is undersized. Even though my engine builder does have access to a Dominator. I rather have my own
Ok you are having a sheetmetal intake made, you have huge inches, and you want use a 4150 that started like as a 750 ? if you are not restricted by class rules , have a dominator build, better now than later and having a new top plate for the intake

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard of a 750 carb capable of flowing 1000 CFM. My best, highly modified, 850 would only flow an honest 975 CFM and it had raised boosters to do that. With all the money you are spending on this motor and a sheetmetal intake just buy the carb you really need and be done with it. I can't see spending more money on a old, already modified, small carb to see if it can flow big numbers. Especially if you're having a sheet metal intake custom made.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Bolt a Dominator on top of a Super Victor and save a ton of cash--my 1050 worked great out of the box, and after a change in air bleeds, was quite streetable.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok you are having a sheetmetal intake made, you have huge inches, and you want use a 4150 that started like as a 750 ? if you are not restricted by class rules , have a dominator build, better now than later and having a new top plate for the intake
I don't think I have ever heard of a 750 carb capable of flowing 1000 CFM. My best, highly modified, 850 would only flow an honest 975 CFM and it had raised boosters to do that. With all the money you are spending on this motor and a sheetmetal intake just buy the carb you really need and be done with it. I can't see spending more money on a old, already modified, small carb to see if it can flow big numbers. Especially if you're having a sheet metal intake custom made.
The more I think about it and hear all yall comment's. the more I think I am going to be buying a BIGGER carb. How big.....not sure how big. SOOOOOOO....................does any one have a suggestion on how big

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I don't think I have ever heard of a 750 carb capable of flowing 1000 CFM.
Probably a dry flow number. Not accounting for 8% (12-1 AFR) of fuel. Holley rates them wet, and some aftermarket companies use dry numbers.

I tested an out of the box 750 4779 on my Super flow bench, at 20.6" water (1.5" Mercury) it went 813 cfm. You have to test each barrel separate to pull that much vacuum on an SF600 bench, and add up the results.
I mounted it and flowed all 4 at one time. I cant remember how high I could pull it, but it flowed more cfm that way. Converted to 20.6" it was over 830 cfm.. and the K&N stub stack got me another 12.

Get a 1050 dominator!

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a pro systems carb as do a few of my friends, they are amazing!

the guys at pro systems don't guess, you send them your exact build sheet and discuss what you want out of the car and they build it for you.

http://www.prosystemsracing.com/index1.html
Hey thannk's for the info. But after looking at there online quote sheet. I am going to half to wait on my "HEAD"(AAHHHH) because they are wanting to know what kind of cam shaft I would be running. And I wont know that till my head's come back. The hole Head issue is starting to get on my nerves.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just starting to get on your nerves? It would have been on my nerves a year ago, now I would be furious, or pulling/already pulled them out of that shop.
Trust me I am getting there real quick. But I am going to let him have them for a "LITTLE" while longer.:(

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I missed this one. Yea I know about this shop but the young guy that used to be there is no longer there. And my engine builder is not to fond of the older gentelmen. Not that he's not any good or any thing just don't care fore him that's all. No disrespect to PRC.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How about Willy's, The Carb Shop, C&S, Quick Fuel, APD, DaVinci? There are alot of shops out there capable of flowing a carb that are reputable.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Trust me I am getting there real quick. But I am going to let him have them for a "LITTLE" while longer.:(
The worst part is how do you go a pick up a set of heads that are not finished? No one will want to touch them because they have already been started on. It's a bad deal but once you commit, you gotta stick with it. If you were dead set on this guy doing your heads you had to know that you were going to get quality work and it is usually worth the wait in the end.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How about Willy's, The Carb Shop, C&S, Quick Fuel, APD, DaVinci? There are alot of shops out there capable of flowing a carb that are reputable.
Those are some very reputable shop's for sure. But the more I think about it I think I will be better off with a new carb. I think I will just keep this carb for a future project. My 15 yr old son has been asking me more and more about how old he has to be B 4 he can make a pass down the track. I think I see a Gen 1 Nova Drag car for my son. Some time down the road:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts