Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the wiring on my trailer. I know it's not a Nova/Acadian question, but I need to fix the wiring tonight or in the morning so I can make a day trip to pick up parts for my Acadian.

I have a hidden hitch power inventor with circuit protection, similar to this: http://www.hiddenhitch.com/fitguides/pdf/N119176.pdf I bought the trailer used and didn't like the way the other guy re-wired it so I decided to re-do all the wiring with a new trailer light kit. Once I got it all done, I plugged the trailer in and the passenger side brake light came on. That light now won't do anything except keep the brake light on. The driver's side works fine: tail light, signal light, etc. I know all my grounds are good as I sanded down to bare metal and I used all new hardware. Before I changed the wiring to the new set up, the old wiring did the same thing. The passenger side brake light would come on. The only difference then was that none of the other lights worked. I'm leaning towards an issue with the car side of the wiring, but not sure what it would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oh yeah, not sure if this would help or not but when I checked the inline fuse on the car wiring, it was blown. Not sure what would have caused it to blow. I've tried a couple different fuses just to rule that out and it still causes the lights to act this way.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
Try bumping the bad side to a hot 12V source to see if the socket is bad.....then work back, if it was doing it before could be the socket...wasn't really clear if you changed the entire tail light housing or not......check with a test light at the vehicle pigtail...sounds like its somewhere on the trailer, not your vehicle...

T,

·
Registered
488 Posts
So your saying that the passenger side brake light stays on all the time when you connect the trailer? But everything else works good? And that's on both the trailer and towing vehicle?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I gotta agree with the previous post, I really can't tell what you are trying to say the passenger light is doing.

IF it is on ALL THE TIME.. then the problem has to be on the car side, because the voltage has to source from somewhere.

Is it on all the time only when the lights are on? Could be crosswired with the tail lights circuit.

I can't read the PDF file that your link brings up.. but I do know the following about tail lights:

you only have four wires.
One is tail lights ( comes on with the headlights )
one is left side brake / blinker
one is right side brake / blinker
one is back up light

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
THAT ADAPTER ON VEHICLE IS A TOTAL WAIST OF MONEY!:rolleyes::no:

WHY DO YOU HAVE IT??

Remove it! it is not needed.

Your vehicle has protected circuits

Al

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So to clarify what I was trying to say, when I plugged the trailer in, the passenger side brake light on the trailer only would come on. None of the lights on my car came on at all.

I called the place that installed the hitch and wiring this morning, they suspect that when the fuse blew it shorted something out in the inverter. Good set up when it dies so easily. I asked him if I actually do need the inverter and he said that I do because my vehicle, a 2007 Nissan Murano, has LED lights and does not produce enough power to light non LED lights. So I guess I'll go drop another $70 for a new inverter and do it myself this time. Thanks for all the responses guys.

Looks like I'm going to be putting off my parts run until tomorrow now that I have to rewire the car side of things :(

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Al. Unfortunately I went back to the same place hoping they would cut me a deal on a new one. They didn't and I needed it so I bought the same one. I will take the warning though in case this one goes on me. I called the Nissan dealer here and they don't have anything like that. They actually send all their vehicles to the place I went, go figure. Anymore issues and I'll find a different route. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I called the Nissan dealer here and they don't have anything like that. They actually send all their vehicles to the place I went, go figure. Anymore issues and I'll find a different route. Thanks again.
Your welcome! HAHA!

just for fun, call the guy back at the dealer!!

Ask him about part # 999T8-CS000

1 - 11 of 11 Posts