Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my car started puffing bluish smoke out when I start it up. Motor has maybe 4000 miles on it.

Emailed motor builder Kershaw Perfrormance in Langley

" During the build I don't think we changed the valve guides, and seals in the AFR's as they probably looked ok, if not you would have advised. Could very well been the seals were some what good, but the extreme heat of trying to aircare cooked them.

Anyway. I would like to get car to you and have that rectified. I am hoping we can work a deal on when I re & re'd the timing cover myself vs bringing it back to you. (cover leaked when cam was re & re'd from wiped lobe)

Let me know what you think. Estimate of cost etc.

Kershaws response "Probably just seals, the bronze guides are pretty durable.I'll change the seals for you as a trade for you doing the timing cover "

Wow :cool:

Also, some of you were following my distributor issue. Found issue. Distributor base was bent up causing rotor to hit side of base and arching. Rotor base also cracked where fits on top of dist shaft and would freely spin 60 degrees each way. Todd, you called that one :thumbsup: Haney Auto assesd and resolved that.

This would have happened when distributor rested against firewall when motor leaned back from tranny pull.

Tranny builders response when I relayed info to him:

Unbelievable Find!!

Well....I Completely, Totally, Absolutely, Insist that you SEND ME THE BILL ON ALL COSTS, and I will Completely reimberce for the Cost! So sorry for all the problems,
---------------
So,
We are only human, and errors occur. Sure is great when these proffesionals stand up and step up behind thier work. My business will continue to go to them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's awesome! These kind of people seem to be few and far between anymore! There should be a thread on here for listing the best shops we have dealt with in our areas to help other people out finding the best shops. Maybe then it'll help to bring our local economies around a bit faster!

I give it up to those who do it all themselves, and those who are honest enough to do it in their shops and stand by their work like that!:yes:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Kershaw's

No matter who is the builder, you will always find someone who has a negative to say, so its pleasent to see postive Kudo's once in a while.
Terry Kershaw for me over the years has been excellent. No matter how wierd my request to go against the grain, Terry would abide by my anal wishes and build exactly as per my request.
Its not surprising to me that he is doing the seals for you, he is a stand up guy.
I agree, we should have a place to show local good guy suppliers / shops.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
good news shaun!!!!
i might of hurt my motor in the 'vert.obviously this info makes my choice a little easier on who i can trust.
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
WoW! Thats why you had to move the distributor a tooth.....bent it good! Good stuff Shaun, thats got to be a load off your mind, not to mention the valve seal issue.;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts