Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering the best way to remove the hatch pins so I can replace my hatch. I'm able to remove the two bolts that hold the shocks absorbers up and pull them from the hatch, but I am unable to get the two upper hinge pins out. I've tryed wd-40 and liquid wrenching them while I was pounding on them with a chisel and hammer. I've also tried various screwdrivers etc. Im to the point im considering cutting it carefully as I don't want to damage the mounting bracket where it stays attached to the car. Cutting was my last resort and I was thinking a angle cutter but wasn't sure. Is there some type of special trick or tool?

thanks

·
7,330 Posts
Hi this is Anyone.

Hopefully you haven't buggered it up with what you have done so far. On the 73 and 74 hatchlids there are retainer clips holding the hinge pins in place. These have to be removed before the pins can be slid out.

The clips are round and can be worked off with some small flat blade long shafted screwdrivers (and maybe to with some smaller jewelers style flat blade screwdrivers). These clips have little barbs on them and they sit into a recessed machined down portion on the hinge pins. The clips are shaped like a capitol C and by prying open the slot on the clips and then at the same time working them out of the machined down portion of the pin and sliding them away from the hinge they can be removed. You have to take your time and not break or damage these clips as they must be reused later and put back on. The slot to open up slightly may not be seen and by rotating the clip on the hinge pin you can get it into a workable spot.

Once you get the pin clips off you need to support the hatchlid with it fully open and not supported by the spring loaded hatchlid shocks. With the lid supported the pins may not come out easily and sometimes you have to wiggle the hatchlid to get the recessed portion of the hinge pin to get out of the pivot holes as they can get caught.

I can tell you this, the pins are somewhat flimsy in that if you do not try to drive them out square you can bend them and make even more work for yourself.

I don't know your timeframe to get this done but somewhere in my webshots account I have some drawings and pictures of the hatchlid hinge modification I did on my 74. With the mod I did I can easily unbolt the hinge off of the roof structure and with the designs I can adjust the gaps to get the hatchlid fitting the best it can. The welded on hinges and how the spring loaded shocks are angled puts a lot of pressure on the hinges and originally you had to live with how the hatchlid fit.

Do a search on webshots.com with an advanced search for user names:

Custom_Jimmy and Custom_Jim

My computer here at home is real slow or I would give you more specific links.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
73 74 Nova hatchback

I am having trouble with my hatch lid I can not remove one of the pins the retaining clips are off the one pin came out instantly on the passenger side. The drivers side I can not get out. Any ideas? has any one replaced the original pins at all with bolts or?? what about hinge mods? Any help would be appreciated :) Also any one fix the rust in the rear door jamb area and then behind the door jamb below the quarter window behind the jamb.

·
7,330 Posts
The hinge pin and/or the holes may be worn preventing the pin from being easily removed. You will just have to find that sweet spot positioning the lid to be able to tap the pin out.

I found this from 2002 when I modded the hatchlid hinge on my 74:

This is a drawing of the hinge pin and the retainer clip. Basically the slot of the keeper/retainer clip needs to be opened up with a small screwdriver and allow it to be slipped off of the end of the hinge pin. Then the pin can be removed:

A drawing of the hinge mod I did:

You cannot use a regular nut and bolt to replace the hinge pin as it needs to be smooth where it contacts the pivot spots on the hinge to keep the wear to a minimum.

On mine now with the hinge mod it makes it easy to remove the hatchlid and be able to adjust the alignment of it to the car.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.