Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for everyone has any one tried lead soulder for dented body panels cause I have all me originals and I don't want to cut anything or get aftermarkets so I figured I would give it a try but mainly is it difficult to do?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
I would have to believe that the heat would warp the panels. Plastic filler is not from the devil.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure it isn't just trying to keep it as original as possible cause I had a 72 before and the rear driverside quarter was put on like the metal was pretty straight but I guess it depends on how exposed and how long

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Eastwood sells a kit. I tried it and it came out OK, but I'm not a body man. You will need an oxy/acet torch kit if you don't already have one.

Personally I think you can get better results much easier with plastic filler. If you are painting the car again, it's not going to be original anyway, so who cares about lead vs. plastic. Unless it's a high $ "all original down to the hose clamps and chalk marks" restoration.

·
Registered
126 Posts
if you can find a real good body man, they can usually do it without any filler at all. But it takes a lot of time and time is money.

That is if your pannels dont have crazy amounts of creases

·
Vendor
1,846 Posts
Its "ancient" technology that is not really used any more as there are cheaper and better alternatives these days like the copious forms of non-metal body fillers. There are also now fillers that have metal in them such as:

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=37

Used something similar on my 63'. Used it a lot on the higher dollar car and motorcycle resto jobs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips everybody I think I'll look into that evercoat seems like some more promising easier to use cause my main to trouble spot is passanger side tail light and my floor cause I also looked at refurb kit for the floor for after all of the fun stuff is done

1 - 8 of 8 Posts