Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My L78 balancer is a 7" and I ordered a replacement from GM part #3879623 and it's 8" which is correct? All the sites I read say an 8" is correct for an L78 but all 3 of mine are 7".:confused:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
Paul.... I dont remember....or better yet.. I dont remember looking at the balancer of a L78.....

I think I remember that early in the BBC life.. the SHP engines got a 7" balancer. it was not till 68? 69? the 8" balancer was used on the SHP engine

IMO both could be correct... as left over parts and assembly line antics....

I have a 70 454 512 block.. under the timing cover cast in to the block on Normal BBC the driver side is the usual HI Perf Pass..... well on this block, all in caps is... HI-PER-***... this was done at the casting plant/foundry....this is just an example what how things were done back then....

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Veno, I found out that 8" is correct for L78 and the 7" is the 350 hp or lower 396. I bought a new one because one has a small crack in it and the others were put on with a hammer and look abused.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
If all three were put on with a hammer I wouldn't assume they are original.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If all three were put on with a hammer I wouldn't assume they are original.
That's is now the conclusion I've come to. I can't believe people beat them like this!:eek::(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts