Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all . Can anyone tell me do they make a spacer for spacing out the balancer so that your serp belt will line up? If not what have the rest of you used. I currently have a stack of washers on each bolt, but i notice the balance is not lined up exactly right and it has a slight wobble. Thanks

len

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the pulley not the balancer. The pulley is not lined up exactly square.

Len

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i know they make pulley shims i think jegs or summit has them you may even be able to get them at a local auto parts store

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Were you pullys pieced together or did you get them as a set. If not as a set them theyre mismatched.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I've seen alternators and water pumps that had the pulleys pressed on in various positions and needed shims; I'd work from that end before messing with the crank pulley.
Get a straight edge and see how far off things really are.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of the pulleys are not match. The crank pulley and alt are march and the rest are zoops.. I have everything lined up except the crank pulley. I have about a 1/ 2 inch that the crank pulley needs to come out.. I had to mix and match the pulleys the full march setup was just to much cash.

Len

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Being a 1/2 inch off alomst sounds like you have a crank pulley for a short water pump set up. Are you running a short or long pump? Maybe try ordering a new crank pulley for a long pump? Sometimes they do put the wrong parts in the wrong (or right) package. I ordered a clutch linkage kit for my BB a couple of years ago. The packaging all said BB, but they were actually the small block stuff.

·
6,558 Posts
Do you have a micrometer or verier caliper ?. Measure each washer and then get however many stacks you need to get them all the same thickness. If one measeres 0.30" and another measures 0.20" and then two others measure 0.25" then stack the 0.30" on top of the 0.20" to give you a stack of 0.50" and then the two 0.25" ones together to also give a 0.50" thickness.
Another low buck way would be to slowly rotate the pulley while it's bolted down to see at what point the pulley goes forward towards the radiator and then take one of those washers out closest to that point and swap it with another from the opposite side.

I would also put the pulley back onto the crank without any spacers to make sure it is running true on that setup.

Sometimes not buying all the parts that should be engineered to work with each other can give you problems just like taking one brand of paint and mixing it with another brand. Who knows how it will turn out.

Jim

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I remeasured and its only about 1/4" off. So maybe I'll check out the shim kit from summit.

Len

1 - 13 of 13 Posts