Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, The balancer on my 1976 Nova w/ 250 cid, has separated. I finally got the thing off, but would like some advice on installing the new part. Is it necessary to remove the fan, shroud, and radiator, or is the crankshaft end threaded to pull the balancer back on. Thanks, david

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The cranks are not threaded But if you can get to it. You can drill and tap.Then be able to use the right tool for the job not a hammer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harmonic balancer

Twisted6. Thanks for the info. Sort of hard to get to in order to drill & tap. Guess I'll remove all that stuff and go to it that way. Yeah, the hammer thing is NOT the way to go. Seen a lot of messed up things with that approach. Thanks, David

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I just did this over the winter.With the bumper off and the radiator removed you can get a straight shot at the end of the crank.The crank material is surprisingly soft.I drilled in about an inch tapped 3/8 24 threads,then used 3/8 24 all thread to make a press on tool. It was the only way i could figure short of pulling the motor to get it on there.I tried using a scissor jack on the cross member under the core support but it just flexed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts