Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I put in my new aluminum rad( SUM-380328 RADIATOR ALUM CHEV 28 X 19)and I thought cooling issues were over and then... the temp gauge started to climb again. It went up to 220-230 at idle so I shut her off, an on the highway it stays about 180-190. What could it be, the lower hose looks kinda twisted, and the upper hose stays crapped after I squeeze it...is it my hoses?:confused: (or could it be that the therm. is stuck and not opening)

I'm running a 190 thermastat too.

THANK YOU in advance:cool: :chev: :usa:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
sounds like an low/no speed air flow issue to me...do you have a proper fan shroud and fan on the motor?:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
69NovaSS said:
sounds like an low/no speed air flow issue to me...do you have a proper fan shroud and fan on the motor?:)

Yes I have a clutch fan and a shroud what do you mean about the air flow- through the rad???

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
73 Nova said:
Yes I have a clutch fan and a shroud what do you been about the air flow- through the rad???

well at low speeds or sitting there idling the only air that is being drawn through the rad is what the fan can pull through it....at highways speeds the air is being forced through the rad as you are driving down the road.....so a lot more air is going through the rad...aiding in cooling the motor...kapish?:)

Does the shroud...completely cover the rad or does it only partially cover the rad? Also how much of your fan blades are inside of the shroud?....1/2 of the blade, 1/3 of the blade, all of the blade, or none of the blade is inside the shroud?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kapish...does this mean I should invest in a pusher/puller fan or somethin along those lines???What would you suggest I have a mild 350 daily abused

The shroud cover the whole rad and all the blades are in.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
73 Nova said:
kapish...does this mean I should invest in a pusher/puller fan or somethin along those lines???What would you suggest I have a mild 350 daily abused
kapish...just means "do you understand"........no...dont change anything until you have figured out what the problem is...one other question....are you sure you got all of the air out of the system when you refilled it?.....if the fluid is a little low that can explain the hoses...:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the fluid is alittle low and I asked the people at checkers how to burp the sytem because a don't know squat about that...and they told me just to leave the cap off and run it to operating temp and all the air would get out. Sounded retarded but thats what I did.:D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
73 Nova said:
Well the fluid is alittle low and I asked the people at checkers how to burp the sytem because a don't know squat about that...and they told me just to leave the cap off and run it to operating temp and all the air would get out. Sounded retarded but thats what I did.:D

If you can get the front of the car a little higher than normal(park it with the nose of the car going up a slight hill) then as they said take the cap off and run the car up to temp....that should help all the air come out of the system....then while its running you can add fluid to it...this will normally work well...this might solve the issue with the hoses...:)

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Yep burp the system.I had the same exact problem when I replace my rediator.I put mine up on jack stands,ran it up to temp and let it run for a few minutes afterwards.Solved the problem.good luck.bm

·
Registered
399 Posts
Easiest way not to have to burp system

Put lower radiator hose on start filling. You will hear air bleeding out around the thermostat if you want take a screw driver and push the thermostat down to relieve air pressure in block faster, continue filling system till coolant starts past the thermostat and then slip the upper radiator hose on continue to fill system till full and your done. No burping needed system completely full.:)

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
T. Jerman said:
Put lower radiator hose on start filling. You will hear air bleeding out around the thermostat if you want take a screw driver and push the thermostat down to relieve air pressure in block faster, continue filling system till coolant starts past the thermostat and then slip the upper radiator hose on continue to fill system till full and your done. No burping needed system completely full.:)
Why take it all apart?Just burp it and its done.bm

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Well...Not exactly that will help. But I wouldn't do the screwdriver in the thermostat thing. There is also the haeter core and hoses if applicable.
I think just running it with the cap off and nose slightly pointed up will get all the air out. What degree thermo do you have?

Denis

·
Registered
399 Posts
What do you mean why take it apart! He already had it apart installing a new rad. just leave the top hose off fill the system tell coolant starts coming out the water neck any you done. Its so simple!!! Why would you what to even think about taking a chance of over-heating the motor because you dont know if the system burped or not. Or you can drill a small 1/8" hole in the themostat and fill it slowly and you will have not air also.
You can use a screw driver (just to purge air) to open up the thermostat but you should be careful.
I've done it a hundreds of times like this and not once have a problem. You guys do it how you what but this is the easiest way to do it

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
He's done?Its put together already and full of antifreeze.To do it your way he has to drain the fluid and take off the hose.Its much easier to burp the system:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
T. Jerman said:
What do you mean why take it apart! He already had it apart installing a new rad. just leave the top hose off fill the system tell coolant starts coming out the water neck any you done. Its so simple!!! Why would you what to even think about taking a chance of over-heating the motor because you dont know if the system burped or not. Or you can drill a small 1/8" hole in the themostat and fill it slowly and you will have not air also.
You can use a screw driver (just to purge air) to open up the thermostat but you should be careful.
I've done it a hundreds of times like this and not once have a problem. You guys do it how you what but this is the easiest way to do it
I like the 1/8 in hole idea, but personally I don't like the screwdriver idea. To each his own, but you don't have to get so touchy about it.:rolleyes: :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
All i'm saying is if he would done it like I said to begin with you won't have to burp the system.
Yes Batman I agree with you now he would have to take it apart to do like what I said so just do like what you said.
Do it like I said and you absolutly will not have a problem guarentee you that!!

A mechanic friend told me about the drilling a hole in the therm. He said it work great.

Happy BURPING!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Don't forget to have the heater running when you burp the girl! :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I noticed you said you had a "Fan -clutch" is it good an tight? with the engine off and cool, the fan should be hard to turn. If it spins freely or is wobbly you should replace the clutch. Other than that the other guys have covered how to burp the system, make sure you have the heater on too. You can also check the temps of the upper and lower hoses they both should be about the same at operating temp and the T-stat has opened. Check the heater hoses, they should both be about the same temp also. If you don't have a temp probe or IR temp guage you can use your hands, be carefull though its gonna be HoT! both hoses should be too hot to keep a hold of( at least for me anyways heh) also check for t-stat opening, upper hose should get hard as car warms up and when t-stat opens (depending on the hose type) it will soften up as the pressure decreases and coolant flows.

Good luck
Jim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts