Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would get some oppinions on this... I know these are old cars and have very flexable sub frame design and they were NOT built for handling, just a commuter car. As you guys know, I am building my wagon for a nice daily driver that will still get up and go (smoke a few ricers in the area). One thing I am wondering is how well can these things be built to handle good with stock subframe. My plan is to do the CPP Delux Mini Sub kit with the control arms, nice shocks and springs, it's already lowered 2 inches up front, then add a front and possibly rear sway bar.
Doing just this, how well will it handle? I am sure it's not going to be too great but a little better than stock at least? Keep in mind my Chevy II is a wagon NOT a coupe or 4 door so it's a bit heavier than the coupes and 4 door sedans I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
While you're right that these weren't necessarily designed to be canyon carvers, they can be set upi to handle VERY flat and predictable. I would however use sub frame connectors regardless of your future intentions for the car. In 2007, I won our club champinship autocross for V8 powered cars with street tires. It has the CPP mini sub kit (lower only) up front with KYB gas shocks and a 1" Hellwig sway bar. I can tell you I routinely pissed off guys in their Mustangs, Firebirds and Camaros. To their way of thinking, there was no way they should lose to a stock (relatively) Nova.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have a 66 ss. run completly stock a arms, totally rebuilt new everything, air ride, 1" sway bar, mono leaf with stock air shock, tied in to the air ride. and it drives great, corners, takes an off ramp at about 55-60, handles just like a new car. fuel injected sb, 700r4, stock shifter. g-force tires.:D:D

·
Registered
788 Posts
speakinng of handling

Just last monday, I recieved back my 63 vert from Hellwig with some new sway bars installed front and rear. What a tremendouse change in level handling. I haven't yet carved corners in the mountains, but there is a wonderful change and a very adjustable rear bar. I will report whe I take it to the Sierras.
http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124704

The Hellwig people really know what they are doing.

BTW I plan to add Hellwig sway bars to my wagon also.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
2X on what chuckha62 said. These uni body cars NEED sub frame connectors. I have them on my car. One of the best after market add-ons.

Bryan

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
Turning more than just heads.............

Here is a good thread about a certain wagon doing some testing.........this car started with the cpp mini and stock steering and then upgraded to the complete CBR rack/pinion conversion, also with CBR tubular lowers. The upgrades improved the slolom time by over 1/2 a second and over 2.5 mph. this car did not have a rear sway bar either.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122057

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys! We will see what it can do then when I am done. Oh yes that is another one I left out was sub frame connectors. I had a link of which ones I heard were the best that welded right up with no interfearance with anything but cannnothing remember the name. Engineering something comes to mind but I cannot remember right now (as you may notice it's 3:40AM here right now so my brain is not fully functioning). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok it was bothering me so I had to look around and find where I saw about the good subframe connectors. The site is : www.globalwest.net
I got it from a 66 Nova site from one of the guys here that helped me with info to do my power brakes and he said that they worked great. Any oppinions here? I will need to weld these in as soon as I get the body back from the media blasters since I will have a fresh clean underside of metal to weld do before bed lining the underside.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
You will be very happy with the Global West connectors. No problems with contacting floor boards, also emergency brake cable doesn't interfere.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ken. How about them fitting on a wagon, is there any difference between the coupe, sedan and wagon length?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts