Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice. My 71 drives great as long as you have it pointed straight. Any advice on turning. I was thinking of the hotchkis drop springs all around and bilsteins. I already have a front sway bar. I may even go so far as to put some 17's on it (I really like the 15" look, though). What do you think? Will it turn? What will it be comparable to? Any other advice?
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Hotchkis springs front and rear will firm it up a lot and help it handle better. Don't forget to invest in good shocks to control those springs.

17 inch wheels will help with the grip and turn-in.

You really need to be honest with yourself and your goals. You can spend a lot of money and not be happy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have owned and built this car for about 10 years now (blown engine and sideswiped body). I love it, and love driving it. Right now I'm running a very streetable dart headed 350/350 combo. I want to drive it more and occasionally harder. I want to do the tko 500 swap, and get it to turn. I can afford suspension now, and would prefer it be able to turn.

All opinions appreciated

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
you say you already have a swaybar... What size is it??? Stock? Stock is not good enough for your goal

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Lots of good info on David Pozzi's site. It is first gen Camaro, but it is the same as the 3rd gen Nova.

I really like my setup with Hotchkis springs and sway bars, Koni shocks and Global West upper arms and body bushings.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After looking, I will likely do the Hotchkis TVS with their bilstein's. I am still interested if knock off sway bars will do as well, if I get the correct size.

Also, how bad will this effect my 1/8 times? I have been running 90/10's and get quite a bit of weight transfer. My gut tells me that on the street I will actually be faster in a straight line due to not having nearly as much rear spring movement on take off.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
After looking, I will likely do the Hotchkis TVS with their bilstein's. I am still interested if knock off sway bars will do as well, if I get the correct size.

Also, how bad will this effect my 1/8 times? I have been running 90/10's and get quite a bit of weight transfer. My gut tells me that on the street I will actually be faster in a straight line due to not having nearly as much rear spring movement on take off.

Thoughts?
Your tieing a square knot with two loops>>> It aint gonna do what you want.... You wanna drag race or turn corners....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want it all. I want to move to more of a driver, I want to drive the #$%( out of it, in any situation I come across.
Thanks for the imput.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
Hotckis is a very nice start but unfortunately doesnt completely help the steering as much as one would like.

The biggest problem is bump steer from our control arms and spindle placement. I would recommend a Lee gear box( one of the best improvement so far) its a Delphi gear box that has been re worked with trick spool valving. I would also recommend some way to address the upper control arm issue I mentioned, ie: Taller ball joint, SPC upper arms, Global arms, ATS spindles, or the ever so trusty Guldstrand mod.

This is stuff that helps with the Novas camber gain and it will feel alot better in turning, and this isnt high speed stuff this is simple bolt on's that help with just day to day driving...good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Steering box is big help in feel but does 0 for bumpsteer. Unless you are in hardcore racing bumpsteer (what little wehave) will not be noticed. Also its a myh that LEE "revalves" the boxes. He only disassembles them and blueprints them. They are already a heavy effort box from stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have manual steering right now, but I need to take the box off and have it looked at (it leaks just a little). I gotta tell ya, I love my manual steering. I don't know if it has been modified in previous life or not (My nova has been around). I have a very good feel of the road and need fairly minimal effort at stand still for a manual, and really quick and precise steering at cruising speed IMO. I honestly don't think I will mess with it until I start feeling less comfortable with it.
Keep the opinions coming, I really appreciate them.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i will sell you my front hotchkis springs :D i would sell you the rears too but i don't have anything to put back on, on second thought let me see if i still have my old mono leafs and maybe i could help you out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That manual steering feels ok now because you probably have very little positive caster. When you swap tubular control arm and other things to improve handling, this means your going to be increasing caster and therefore the steering effort goes way up. Take that into consideration. Another option is a 92-98? Jeep Grand Cherokee box, its 12.7 to 1 ratio, has higher effort for improved road feel, and wont reduce steering travel.

Definately do something to improve camber gain too.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
That manual steering feels ok now because you probably have very little positive caster. When you swap tubular control arm and other things to improve handling, this means your going to be increasing caster and therefore the steering effort goes way up. Take that into consideration. Another option is a 92-98? Jeep Grand Cherokee box, its 12.7 to 1 ratio, has higher effort for improved road feel, and wont reduce steering travel.

Definately do something to improve camber gain too.
I liked the manual steering box in my old Chevelles as long as I was moving; even a couple of miles per hour. Tire selection is very important to reduce steering effort with manual steering.

The increased caster helps with straight line steering and tire centering, but does little either way for the steering effort.

Edit: Does the Jeep steering box fit 3rd gen Novas?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
you could buy my front and rear hotchkis springs for $450 :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts