Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from the dragstrip on 5-9-09, my water temperature started to rise, and as I pulled to a stop sign, the inside of my car filled with smoke, and when I stopped, smoke was billowing out from under the hood. I opened the hood, and there were flames a foot high if they were an inch. Grabbed my fire extinguisher, and put it out. In theory, I could have just as easily put it out with my shirt if I had too, but at the time I thought it was a lot worse.

Basically a wire for the electric fan melted against the radiator and grounded out, which of course stopped the fan, and began melting the plastic covering on the wires all the way back to the battery, and caught the wire loom on fire.

Fixed it all today. Looks awesome, and no wired are touching the radiator!

That crap gets everywhere.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I remember I had a fire while I was at the gas station one time.I was having problems with it starting so I poured a little gas in the carb and some must have gotten on the rim of the carb and when I started the car it backfired and caught on fire. good thing I had a towel in the car

·
Registered
89 Posts
glad the damage was minimal. It's a great idea to have a fire extinguisher in most any car. :yes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
No fuses in that line that shorted?
Good to hear the damage was minimal. It can be really devestating. You need to get a fuseable line or circuit breaker or something protecting that circuit.

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Hey David, we all have to catch our cars on fire at least once!:yes: Now you get to clean up all that PK powder.:cool:

Glad it wasn't worse........

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Hey David,

I had the same exact thing happen to my car last summer. The wire going to the fan shorted as a result of melting on the radiator. I was in my drive way and got it out fast and had it fixed in about 15 minutes. I now carry a fire extinguisher in my car.

Glad there was no real damage.

Denis

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Hey David,

I had the same exact thing happen to my car last summer. The wire going to the fan shorted as a result of melting on the radiator. I was in my drive way and got it out fast and had it fixed in about 15 minutes. I now carry a fire extinguisher in my car.

Glad there was no real damage.

Denis
i agree with the fire extinguisher- they are very cheap at walmart.
simply a good piece of mind.

i actually thought mine caught on fire last week- i smelled smoke, and when i got home i saw smoke rolling out of the rear fender wells! :eek:
i then hosed the whole rear of the car down but to fiind that
idiot me left the e brake on! :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts