Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam building a 66 nova with a 355ci 387hp 410lb/ft torque. It has headers 2 1/2" exhaust with magaflow flow through mufflers. Which one would be best for sound and performance?

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
If you want nice sound, leave the true duels, if you want performance X pipe it!:yes:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also run an x pipe........boost low end torque and one wicked sound :D

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,757 Posts
Everything I've read over the years does say that the H-pipe (or balance tube) gives a performance increase. The closer you mount the balance tube to the header collectors, the more it will enhance low-end torque. If placed further back, it gives an improvement in upper RPM. The 69 z/28 had a crossover near the rear.

In any case, I think the H pipe sounds more like "American muscle" than the X-pipe and I think it sounds better than true duals too.

Some of the cars I hear with an X-pipe sound like a wet fart.:D

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have an H-connector. Why? Well, cost. Funds were an issue for me and I couldnt make my own X-connector (no skills) but I could make the H-connector. And space. I have as much of my exhaust tucked up above the rockers as I can and the X style would have taken up too much room for my car. Now, as far as performance, well, Im not racing so the 420hp I have is plenty for a street car. I didnt take a performance hit. The sound? It 3" all the way out so yeah, it sounds pretty nice. Really nice :) JR

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have an H-connector. Why? Well, cost. Funds were an issue for me and I couldnt make my own X-connector (no skills) but I could make the H-connector. And space. I have as much of my exhaust tucked up above the rockers as I can and the X style would have taken up too much room for my car. Now, as far as performance, well, Im not racing so the 420hp I have is plenty for a street car. I didnt take a performance hit. The sound? It 3" all the way out so yeah, it sounds pretty nice. Really nice :) JR
JR,

take a look at this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D642122&N=700+4294923429+400304+4294921571+115&autoview=sku

and look closely at the "X" pipe Summit provides with their kit. It looks like 2 elbows with the corners cut off and welded together. I'm not a welder by trade but, it looks pretty simple..

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
JR,

take a look at this:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D642122&N=700+4294923429+400304+4294921571+115&autoview=sku

and look closely at the "X" pipe Summit provides with their kit. It looks like 2 elbows with the corners cut off and welded together. I'm not a welder by trade but, it looks pretty simple..
Yer right on.. Problem, in 1996 when I made my exhaust that wasnt available. They were just barely making 3" aluminized straight pipe available so thats the only choice I had.

I have learned sooo much building this 62 Nova over the years. The next one is gonna be a piece of cake. I would love to have a matching 62 convert. I know all the obstacles now and there is so much more available.

The industry has recognized the Nova as a honest performer and they provide all the parts, glass (wasnt available) sheetmetal (wasnt available). In 95 when I was building the car it was the step child for the aftermarket suppliers. Not so anymore. I love it, we are part of the crowd now. JR

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
had to bring this thread back to life cause im in the same bind..x or h
for me sound is a big issue i want my 72 to sound mean loud aggressive that true muscle car sound with that rumble thats what i love most on muscle cars and thats what the h sound like they would achieve..as for x it would be pretty kool to gain some hp and some pull but as from what i read it makes its sound like farts and all high pitch..soo can you guys help me a little more to understand all this? thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I rum an X pipe and love the way my car sounds! Many people who have heard my car say it sounds killer. I like the sound of the X over the H. I am running 2 1/2" exhaust through super 40 flowmasters with tail pipes and it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
I rum an X pipe and love the way my car sounds! Many people who have heard my car say it sounds killer. I like the sound of the X over the H. I am running 2 1/2" exhaust through super 40 flowmasters with tail pipes and it sounds awesome!
really? whats it sound like? dose it have that rumble?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts