Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 66..I'm running ground wiring...I have 1. The battery to engine 2. The battery to chassis....Then....3.. the engine to firewall...Here's my next two Questions......The ground wire from the firewall I mounted to the coil mounting bracket...Will the fact that I have an aluminum intake make a difference.?? And 4.. Is there another gound I should be running....I've been told the subframe to engine also....Is that correct..?? and where would be the best place to run that ground wire ??.........Thanks much....

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would think that a good ground from battery to frame and a good ground from engine to frame is all you need. If your worried about good ground, it's just as important to make sure all your small wires from the harness have good ground (like on the radiator support, etc...) just make sure where ever you have a ground you remove the paint.

·
6,558 Posts
I would have a cable from the battery negative to the engine and a second cable from the battery negative to the firewall or fender (ideally firewall). You may have to add a cable from the radiator support to the battery negative.

Think of the different circuits and where they are grounded. The starter will probably be the biggest current drawing device on the car so run the same size ground cable from the battery negative post to a clean spot on the engine block as what you have going from the battery positive post to the starter.
Another circuit group would be the body circuits from the firewall back. These include grounds for the dash lights, grounds for the dome light, grounds for the taillights, and some other items. Since from the firewall rearward all of the different metal sections are welded together you can consider this as one ground section that needs to be tied to the battery negative terminal.
The last ground circuit that needs to be completed is the front end lighting. Most of the times the headlights, turn signals, and marker lights are grounded to the radiator support. You would think if the radiator support is bolted to the fenders and the fenders bolted to the firewall would give a good electrical connection but sometimes it doesn't so this is why you may have to run this third ground from the radiator support to tie it into the other electrical circuits.
As far as wire size for the battery to firewall and to the radiator support, I would think 8-10 gauge would be fine. If you ever add an audio amplifier and ground it in the trunk area you may have to run a larger ground from the battery negative post to the firewall.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
running the ground from the intake to the fire wall should work. You also need a ground to the core support. Like Custom Jim said, I like to run a few extras. I pull a ground to the dash area that becomes me central grounding point for everything under the dash. I also pulled one back to my fuel pump to ground it and the fuel sending unit.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All went well with grounding.......Neg from bat.. to water pump....Neg from bat to Radiator support....Engine ( coil support bracket ) to firewall....everything works fine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts