Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should there be a ground strap between engine block and frame? Here is a pic of the assembly manual but I'm not sure if all these were cancelled. It shows one from negative battery connection on block to coil bracket and another from starter to frame. I have an automatic and I don't see either. Are these only necessary for the radio or could the lack of them cause other electrical problems?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
It never hurts to have more grounds.
It definitely can hurt to not have enough grounds.

There should be at least one strap from the engine to frame, and at least one from frame to body.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ground Straps

Should there be a ground strap between engine block and frame? Here is a pic of the assembly manual but I'm not sure if all these were cancelled. It shows one from negative battery connection on block to coil bracket and another from starter to frame. I have an automatic and I don't see either. Are these only necessary for the radio or could the lack of them cause other electrical problems?
I added ground straps to block,to frame,to body---it's one of the best things & inexpensive you can do to avoid weird electrical issues on older rides. Add them---it won't hurt. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will for sure be adding the one in the lower left pic from engine to frame. I'm confused why there would need to be one from frame to body. It seems like those are bolted and welded together all throughout. But I'll add one. Anybody know where that one should be (on a 62 vert) or where a good spot would be to put one?

·
6,520 Posts
Like others have said, you cannot have too many grounds.

What one has to keep in mind that a lot of parts on the car are bolted to each other and these bolted together parts you would think are electrically tied to each other but in fact may not be due to paint buildup.

Sometimes too, the factory added ground straps between the frame to engine, engine to firewall, cowl to hood, and also added capacitors to the ignition coil, the fuse block, and the alternator voltage regulator to reduce or eliminate noise getting into the audio system.

Jim

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Guys

I like to use a minimum of two motor earths One from the block at the motor mounts to the body and one from one of the bell housing bolts to the body and if I can one from the trans to the body. you would be surprised how many people have starting issues because of poor or non existent motor earths.

Cheers Ian:uk:

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Once your engine is running the mother of all grounds is the case of the alternator, and all current used in the car returns to this point. Most alternators are bolted solidly to the block so when you put a ground cable in your system make sure it goes to the block. Firewall to block, front sheet metal to block, frame to block, etc. This avoids any problems from running grounds in series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts