Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea's how i can grind a small section of weld in my trunk gutter on my 72. i went a little overboard on the weld, and i can't figure out how to smooth it out without grinding the area around it and doing damage. i know the weather stipping will cover it up but it doesnt look good and i think it will make the weather stipping sit to high. any idea's?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have just about everything but a dremmel lol. what kind of bit or head would i need on the tool ?

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
X2 on the die grinder

But....you know what the rep for working with fiberglass is? Die grinders are the same. Gloves, eye & face protection as well as long sleeves. The good news is with practice you can do some really neat things. It does take practice and they have a tendency to catch and start gouging - you know, when the bit is flying everywhere and you can't get your finger off the trigger fast enough. Just don't use a lot of pressure.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My thought would be to use a 4.5" grinder with a hard wheel. Then use the edge of the wheel being held 90 degrees to the gutter where you need to grind.

One thing the larger diameter wheel does is give you more smoothing capabilities than a small diameter stone of small disc.

You should be able to get right into a corner and smooth it out enough to just finger puddy over to final smooth it out.

Good luck with your grinding.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, i just tried the 4.5 wheel and it worked great, turned out real smooth . i don't know why i didnt think of that, sometimes my brain just vapor locks lol. thanks everyone for the idea's...

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
My thought would be to use a 4.5" grinder with a hard wheel. Then use the edge of the wheel being held 90 degrees to the gutter where you need to grind.
Bingo, using the edge of the wheel only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts