Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look:

See the light in the center of the grill? I've seen hundreds of pics of novas and have never seen this. Was this some kinda factory option or dealer add on? What is it for? Just to look cool?

-Tom

·
13,694 Posts
Take a look: See the light in the center of the grill? I've seen hundreds of pics of novas and have never seen this. Was this some kinda factory option or dealer add on? What is it for? Just to look cool?
-Tom
No, just to look dumb:D. Lots of things can happen to these cars over 50 years. We'll probably never know the story behind this light, but it wasn't an option in 1963.

Bob

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol I kinda thought it looked like a nipple or something personally but I just was curious what it was.

Looks like its designed to light up whenever the car is running. Similar to most modern cars where you can't turn the headlights off all of the way.

-Tom

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Yea!:yes: And what was really cool was to put a colored lens on it and put it behind the grille!:yes: until the cops caught you.

Oops! I think I just told my age.
Definately not a blue lens! Guaranteed to get you pulled over. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
These were refered to as "running" lamps... to show the vehicle was in operation...
Gee Im glad they thought of this! Id have never guessed by the sound of the engine and seeing the car rolling down the street that it was in operation!:devil:

Hey maybe we should start putting little lights on all corners of the car too..and they can flash on each side. That way people will know that we want to change lanes:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Waaaay back when I was in high school, we thought it was cool to drive (yes, we had cars when I was in high school) with our parking lights on, something that I've always done out of habit. One day in 1987 I was cruising on the Interstate in Arkansas in the middle of a pack of vehicles and got pulled out of the pack by an Arkansas state cop and given a warning ticket for driving in the daytime with parking lights on. That was a long time ago and I forget exactly what the wording on the ticket was, something about a blue law. He didn't say anything about the fact that I was in the middle of a pack of cars and trucks running fifteen miles over ths posted speed limit, he just hassled me over having those lights on. I wonder what they are doing these days when all vehicles run lights during daylight hours.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts