Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I hope this is the correct spot for this question...
A couple of days ago I discovered a 1962 Chevy II Nova over here in Holland (Europe). A real barnfind, it has been standing in a shed for over 40 years. Those Chevrolets are very, very rare over here. The car is in a rather poor condition and my intention is to restore it. The engine has seized and of course it needs a lot of new parts. But there's the problem; I can't find any documentation over here in Holland. Can someone help me out with for instance a digital copy of a workshop/service manual? And any specifications of the engine and gearbox? All I know is that it's a 194 3.2Litre straight 6 with a manual 3-speed gearbox (I found out that you Americans call it "three-on-the-tree"?). But that's not enough to find parts or instructions how to maintain it/get it apart and up and running again.
My other cars are old Volvo's, i know a lot of them but this Chevy is all new to me.

Please excuse me for the bad English. I think you all can imagine that I don't speak it very often over here. I hope you can help me out to get this car on the road again. Many thanks in advance.

Of course I have a picture of the car. Let's see if this works:
https://flic.kr/p/2jdB1rs

·
Super Moderator
3,643 Posts
Welcome to the site! Looks like a possible survivor, and a factory black car to boot. There are a number of repair manuals online and for sale, and there is a ton of knowledge and resources just from members here on line. As for the '62 assembly manual, I haven't found one online to use, but here's a link to one for '63, a very very similar vehicle. There are only small changes from '62. Otherwise, this site is a great place to ask questions and get sources for what you need.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
WELCOME to SNS . . ... . . HK6477 ……………

glad you joined up …… with your 'barn-find 62 '

from Chino Valley , USA ,,,,,, jim

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Hey - Frank -
click on that '62 picture , and check out that 62 "slick side trim " …… (click - then click on the circle w/ + ) .

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Welcome to the site..
That’s a top of the line for 62 Nova 400 series.. The 1962 model year has some unique parts and trim for that year but is significantly similar to 63,64, and to a lesser degree 65 models. A 63 assembly manual would be the closest to the 62 as they have more mechanical parts in common..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi all,

I hope this is the correct spot for this question...
A couple of days ago I discovered a 1962 Chevy II Nova over here in Holland (Europe). A real barnfind, it has been standing in a shed for over 40 years. Those Chevrolets are very, very rare over here. The car is in a rather poor condition and my intention is to restore it. The engine has seized and of course it needs a lot of new parts. But there's the problem; I can't find any documentation over here in Holland. Can someone help me out with for instance a digital copy of a workshop/service manual? And any specifications of the engine and gearbox? All I know is that it's a 194 3.2Litre straight 6 with a manual 3-speed gearbox (I found out that you Americans call it "three-on-the-tree"?). But that's not enough to find parts or instructions how to maintain it/get it apart and up and running again.
My other cars are old Volvo's, i know a lot of them but this Chevy is all new to me.

Please excuse me for the bad English. I think you all can imagine that I don't speak it very often over here. I hope you can help me out to get this car on the road again. Many thanks in advance.

Of course I have a picture of the car. Let's see if this works:
https://flic.kr/p/2jdB1rs
Those old six-popper Chevies are usually quite reliable and durable engines, maybe the rings are stuck from sitting. I would remove the spark plugs and fill the cylinders with any lite oil, and let them soak a week or so. These motors operate smoothly at a very low RPM range, and the wide ratio 3speed they came with works better than you would expect.

·
Registered
938 Posts
63 manual is great if that is all you can find but the 62 manual has much more info. The 63 and 64 manuals are supplements to the 62 manual. You can find the 62 shop manual on Ebay. If the 194 is beyond repair, stick an old Volvo motor in that Nova and have fun.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Welcome to the party . . .
Body looks pretty straight along with the trim intact ( which is a plus ) . do you have any additional foto(s) of the car ? Also depends on the route you want to go and what you can get away with once the car is registered to be road worthy . I would try to free up the 6 cylinder esp if its original to the car , imo ( in my opinion ) . Not to many of those around there . Or you can always put a 2101 4 cylinder lada engine in it =)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ AllyMcReal: wonderful! Thank you very much for this assembly manual. I'll definately need it.

Thanks for this warm welcome. Very nice to see all those Nova's on this site. You don't see old Chevy's over here in Holland very often. Only the very popular models such as the Corvette or those really huge cars as the Suburban or Blazer from the seventies and eighties).

The unique story of this car is that is was the staff car of the Dutch Mining Company. They bought it new back in '62 and after a couple of years the car was sold to the owner of a local car workshop. In the mid seventies he parked it in a shed and it never came out again, until last week. By the end of this week I'll pick up the car and then this "Chevy adventure" can begin for real...

The car is still all original and very, very complete. As far is I know, nothing is missing. Even the original registration plates are still on the car. I don't know how it works in the US, but in Holland the plates stick to the car and not to the owner. But sixty year old plates are rare. It's more common that they have been renewed a couple of times, due to loss, damage etc. Because of the great story and the fact that the car is still complete, my intention is to keep it as original as possible. So this engine will run again, one way or another. I'll fill the cylinders with some diesel oil through the spark plug holes and then we'll see. But I think that in the end I'll have to take it apart completely. 45 years without any movement in the cold, wet Dutch weather destroys every engine.

I think this car has been shipped from the US to Belgium in parts, and that it was assembled over here. As far as I know, that happened to all of the American cars that were sold here.

Some more pictures:
https://flic.kr/p/2jdRx3z
https://flic.kr/p/2jdSSRm
https://flic.kr/p/2jdNLMb
The front fenders are very rusty around the headlights. The holes are so big that you can stick your fist through... I'll have to renew them. I found out that new fenders are still available in the US. It's a pity that the shipping costs to Holland are very high... Let's see if I can find a car parts shop over here that receives shipments from the US quite often, maybe they can help me out.
Other parts such as rusty wheel arches, rocker panels and floor panels I can make myself. The fenders however are way to difficult to repair.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re shipping parts to Europe: there are services like usa-importservice.de which have a warehouse in US and have at least one container per month shipped to Germany where you can pickup the goos your self or get it delivered to your home address.
I use it quite regularly. Shipping to Humble, TX is very often free of charge and so in overall a good way to get the parts you are in need to EU.

smaller parts which I buy at rockauto I mostly use there direct service with Fedex. Ordered yesterday with rockauto connection rod bearings and Fedex ships them till July 1st for only €7 to Austria!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
welcome to the nova site, an congrats on the barn find 62 nova 400 model 4 door. that was the deluxe nova for that year an the first year for chevy II nova. that is the exact nova i had back in the late 60's. i just found a picture of my old nova an posted it on steves nova site. also that trim is very very hard to find treat it well. good luck in your restore an keep the pictures coming.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
i was looking closer at your pictures. the picture of the dash upper left corner a tag/badge says, NAM 666 wonder what that was about. also have you tried the radio to see it it works ? europe AM band radios are set for different broadcast bands i think.

·
13,355 Posts
Good to have you with us here at Stevesnovasite. Below is a link to the General Motors Heritage Center 1962 Chevy II information package. This will tell you just about all you need to know about the 1962 Chevy II.

Also, there's good chance the assembled parts of your car were made in Canada. Canada built most of the export Chevy IIs from 1962-1967. Some of them were complete knockdown cars that were assembled at the destination. Others were semi knockdowns to be finished on site. My GM Canada information shows that 30 left hand drive Nova 400 4 door sedans were exported in 1962 to various overseas destinations. I may be able to tell you if yours was one of those if you send me pictures of the firewall cowl tag and VIN plate.

Bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts