Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixed my little distributor issue from last week and got the car back up to the track this morning. No major adjustments and a ran a new best of 11.62 @ 119 MPH. The thing that made it even sweeter was clipping the guy in the Dodge Viper next to me. That felt really good. Did a minor timing adjustment for the last pass and ended up with a new personal best of 11.59 @ 120 MPH. I left good enough alone because I needed to get home and get ready for my new job tomorrow. I'm gonna be riding this high for a while.:D

I met a fellow SNS member up at Byron today, but I can't remember his name for the life of me...sorry. He seemed to be enjoying himself and running some pretty darn good times. Lots of Novas up there today, but didn't have my camera :(

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!! I started the day with the timing set around 30* (my dist. is locked out) and on the last pass I put 32* in it. It was tuned to run on 91 or 93 pump gas with 30* of timing, but I add a few gallons of 110 for the track so I figured a couple more degrees wasn't gonna kill it. What I really need to get this winter is the MSD 6BTM ignition box so that I can be set up for killer throttle response and then start having the box pull the timing out as the boost comes in. Currently I'm just using the 6AL box.

Another thing you track gurus might be able to help me with. I put some pre load on the cal tracs, didn't see hardly any improvement in 60' times, but it seemed to help overall down the track (judging by my new times). Any reason for this? I figured the preload might have been helping keeping the springs from unloading between shifts or something keeping the tires glued to the track. Just guessing on my part.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Byron t&t

Meet thumper at track.I lick to see guys having FUN.I HAVE 64 NOVA 2DR POST RAN 11.16 11,19 11.20 11.21 BEST 60 FT 1.52. 383CU IN 350 TURPO, 4.10,foot brake,8in tire, 750 holley. By the way way to go on new best time.I am 62 years old retired and having fun.Building 65 2 dr post 468cu in pump gas motor with straight axle.Two sons with novas 64 wagon 355 4speed.65 wagon 540cu it run 9.80 on motor.HAVE A NICE DAY SEE YOU SOON. Jim

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congrats on the times Dennis!

How did the car launch for you? Tire slip? What was your 60 foot times?

Nice kicking some Viper ***! :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel that the car launches fine. The 60 fts. were in the 1.73 - 1.85 range. These were almost the same 60 fts. I was getting with the car running 11.81 last October. These times may be more of an issue with having the timing locked out at 30* and may be improved once I switch over to the 6BTM to run more intial timing and then start having it pulled out as the boost comes in. That's why I was wondering if the pre load on the caltracs would have helped down the track rather than cutting 60 fts. way down. I'm not gonna complain with results either. I didn't feel the tires slip and my launch picture you can see the sidewalls wrinkling pretty good getting the bite down on the track.

I think the weather could have been a factor. It was an overcast, fairly cool for July, and nice dry air. It was some great weather for making power.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I feel that the car launches fine. The 60 fts. were in the 1.73 - 1.85 range. These were almost the same 60 fts. I was getting with the car running 11.81 last October. These times may be more of an issue with having the timing locked out at 30* and may be improved once I switch over to the 6BTM to run more intial timing and then start having it pulled out as the boost comes in. That's why I was wondering if the pre load on the caltracs would have helped down the track rather than cutting 60 fts. way down. I'm not gonna complain with results either. I didn't feel the tires slip and my launch picture you can see the sidewalls wrinkling pretty good getting the bite down on the track.

I think the weather could have been a factor. It was an overcast, fairly cool for July, and nice dry air. It was some great weather for making power.
Looking forward to seeing the launch pictures!

A 120 mph should get you around the 11.20 area if all things are correct.
I'm not sure what the car weighs out at, but if you're around 3650 (guesssing) then 120 mph should get you that 11.21ish time.

But this is what hot rodding is about, isn't it!...:D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a digital copy of the launch pic. It was a shot I bought from the track photographer up at Byron, good ol' Action Rick. He gets great shots, you can go through them with him, and then he prints up nice 8 x 10 shots you can take home that he can put whatever footer on it you want. I like them. I bought two this time, one of the burnout and one of the launch. Now I just need to get them framed and put up in my new office.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I don't have a digital copy of the launch pic. It was a shot I bought from the track photographer up at Byron, good ol' Action Rick. He gets great shots, you can go through them with him, and then he prints up nice 8 x 10 shots you can take home that he can put whatever footer on it you want. I like them. I bought two this time, one of the burnout and one of the launch. Now I just need to get them framed and put up in my new office.
You can't get away with that!

Scan the pics and post them up!...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Mike, it sure does feel good moving forward instead of staying the same place. My only problem now is if I wanna go faster I'll have to cage the car which I'm not fully sold on. I do like not having to slide over the door bar, but I guess I could always get swing outs. Yep, I just sold myself. This winter the car is getting a cage. Now for some smaller pulleys and some bigger jets.:devil:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Man, I would love to fly out there, bring the pics and get me an Animal style, but that's just not in the cards. Just started a new job last Monday and I don't think I have any time off until after 3 months of working there. I do have to get back out that way some time soon thought to get some ink work done. It's only money, right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts