Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the converitble decided it needed a rest. I left work early and went to the parts store wandering looking for a project. On the way home I lost all power and coasted to a stop. started right back up and drove for another 1/2 mile then died again. Next time ran for about 4 blocks and then gave up on a side street. I could not get her to keep running, and noticed what appeared to be air in the fuel filterm almost popping. Finally I called a tow and brought her home. After cooling off at home she fired right off. I know I had gas in the tank. I also know I have rust in the tank as I can see it floating in the filter that I just changed a week ago. I was thinking the fuel pump went bad, but after the engine was cool gas pumped freely. Any suggestions. I was going to replace the fuel pump with a holley version and give it a go with a fresh tank of gas. I have driven the 63 almost everyday for that last 2 months without a problem. I knew this day was coming, so I guess I finally figured out a project for the weekend.

comments?

rod

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm no expert, but had a car did the same thing quite a few years back. Drove it from Norfolk, VA to somewhere in GA and stalled out on the Interstate. Fired right back up went a few more miles and died again. Let it sit for a little bit, got her to fire up and and drove several more miles and died. We happened to be right at an exit with a service station and come to find out we had a cracked head.

Hopefully your situation isn't as serious, but wouldn't hurt to check for water in oil to be sure. If that is what it is, as the head heats up the crack expands and you loose vacuum, killing the engine. Let is sit long enough to cool, the crack will contract again and close and may start back up, but will expand again as it reheats. Eventually, the crack will become big enough that it won't start at all. Either way in this case, you'll be replacing the bad head.

I hope you find it's something else. Best of luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had a similar experience with my wagon, where it would go for a while and then die. Let it sit, it would go for a while then die again.

Turned out the fuel filter was completely clogged due to all the crap coming from the gas tank.

Take a look at the fuel filter. If it's clogged, it will stop the fuel flow. NOTE: If you are checking a see-through filter, make sure you also check the one in the carb!

Good luck with it...

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Check your fuel lines also to make sure they aren't really soft and sucking together when they get hot causing a vapor lock. We are into hot weather now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
project complete

I ended up heading over to speedway motors this morning and picking up a new holley fuel pump, lines, and connections. A couple of hours later my car runs better then ever. The lines were nasty, the filter was dirty, and the pump might of been fine, but the new one looks better and I can see in the filter more gas is getting to the carb.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Great Day for a Tow?

Hey Now nebraskarod. The one thing to be sure and check is the filter sock in the gas tank. It will plug up and do the things you described. it will do this with the new pump also if you take the longer trips or are hammering the throttle. The sock is on the end of the fuel pick-up tube inside the tank. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
socks?

Ok, a little more help here. How to I check or change the sock I never knew I had. What does it do? If anyone hasn't guessed yet, I'm pretty green.

I have read your rack conversion at least 5 time. It sounds like a great thing to add to my list of modifications. I think another 20 reads and a 100 questions and I be ready to go...

thanks, rod

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
from my experience, if the sock's all nasty you'll prolly find the inside of the tank is nasty too... prolly good thing ta drop the tank and drain and check condition... if it's all rusty inside a new sock will only help for a while before it gets plugged... maybe a new tank is in order too...

the guy next door to me is constantly working on his friend's 50 Merc. a new gas filter every week the tank is so bad... finally they took care of the tank and wha-laa no more filter issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yet again

The nova decided to take a rest again on the way home from work. It just stopped getting gas through the filter. I let it sit for 15 minutes and it started right up and got me home.

This is after I replaced all of the fuel lines and added a new fuel pump. Someone mentioned a filter in the carb. I have a 2 barrel, is the filter inside of the fuel line input on the carb? About the gas tank and sock. If i understand correctly, I need to disconnect the fuel sending unit and then drop the tank to inspect the tank and the sock. I would say I have about 8 gallons of gas in the tank. I will pour it out and look for rust. I already know it there the filter had rust flakes last time I changed it.

If I replace the tank should I replace the sending unit too? Another couple of times getting stranded is going to become less pleasurable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes, when you disconnect the fuel line from the carb, you will find a brass colored filter, cone-shaped inside, with a spring behind it.

Good luck with it...

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Tow Job?

Hey Now. Don't lose the spring and be sure the brass filter is installed correctly. You can replace the brass filter with the Paper type. Also, their are two gaskets involved with the brass filter and the spring provides the pressure to prevent dirt from bypassing the filter. Respectfully, "Bill's" II

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
in my younger days i'd stripped the carb where the fuel nut is changing the fuel filter... on a couple carbs... after the last one, everytime i need ta change an in carb filter, i throw it away, tighten the nut and run an in-line filter... no more messin' with the carb nut.

others are maybe more mechanically inclined than me... this is just my experience.

i wish ya the best ;)

Be Good !!! :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
new gas tank

Ok, after 4 times of being stranded with no gas in the filter I broke down an ordered a new gas tank from CI. While I was at it I ordered a new sending unit and all the extra junk needed. BYW it cost 75.00 to ship the tank from CA to NE. I about lost it.

So when it arrives any tips for making this a less painful adventure. I have visions of fuel pouring over my face and otherwise making a large mess.

Can I save the fuel and filter it before I pour it back in the new tank? So far I have not turned out to be the worlds best mechanic - I am a computer programmer by trade. Once the new tank is installed, I will have replaced the entire fuel system except the line from the tank to the pump. Hopefully this does the trick

rod

1 - 15 of 15 Posts