Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all you electronic wizards, ( of which i am not) how should i upgrade my electrical system to support a GPS,DVD, STEREO, IPOD etc unit?????? We are building my 72 for a power tour and i want this creature comfort. We are going to fab it into the metal part of the dash to the left of the glove box. Any one already do this? Any pictures? Thank you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you have rewired the car with aftermarket harness you should have alot of circuits open for misc. use. I had used EZ wire and have quite a few. If you are still running the orignal harness it might get a bit messy under the dash with all the splicing that may occur. You may want to add a couple of circuits if thats the case with the old harnesses, which can be done quite easily.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you have rewired the car with aftermarket harness you should have alot of circuits open for misc. use. I had used EZ wire and have quite a few. If you are still running the orignal harness it might get a bit messy under the dash with all the splicing that may occur. You may want to add a couple of circuits if thats the case with the old harnesses, which can be done quite easily.
Do you have a lot of create comforts that you are adding? If you don't have and aftermarket panel, you will need to add remote fuse blocks for acc, ignition, and battery.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which aftermarket harness should i get? Sounds like adding an updated fuse box is safer and appropriate. As of now,the GPS, DVD, IPOD,REAR VIEW CAMERA will do it for the doo-dads. Doesn't Painless make one? Is it a simple install?

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Deepending on what you are planing to do you should look at replacing your alternator with one that cranks out a few more amps. If you are planning to sit in your car and watch dvd's/listen to the stereo with the car off, you should look at adding a deep cycle battery as a secondary battery.

The extra power has to come from somewhere. Gm designed your car to have a pushbutton radio with a light bulb as a backlight, not to have nav, and a loud stereo. :D

If you add a second battery, you will have to essentially add a second harness (2nd fuse box, new wires, etc.), the only wire to splice into then would be the acc wire coming off the ign switch.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Give American Auto Wire a call. They will set it up for you needs. If you are adding do dads, don't forget the mirror with homelink and auto dimming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts