Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here's a couple pics. Waiting on the headers and a throttle cable.

Just need to mount the computer, and run the wire harness and it should fire.

Here's a pic

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need details. Where is the computer going? What headers? What tranny? What fuel system? What mounts? What are you going to do about the speedometer?

Very interested as I hope to possible do a 5.3 or 6.0 truck motor in the future :yes:

Please keep us updated :D
Not sure where the computer is gonna go yet. Sanderson headers that I've already fitted (friend had some), The mounts, and harness is all from Turn Key Engine supply. Turn Key also supplied the Inline Fuel pump and filters, but we had to make our own hard line and return. Not sure about the speedo yet

This will be a upcoming story in Chevy Hi Performance magazine.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The motor looks right at home in there. Looks like there is plenty of clearance for the truck manifold too.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
that is one ugly engine. but you gotta love the ls1 engines for power. I would love to do one someday soon. let me know how the torque is when you drive it. how much power are you shooting for?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
If Turnkey gave you enough harness you can mount in your glove box, I know some like to mount it on the passenger side fender well...

Installing these motors are a cake walk, My ls2 has been super easy to install, plus I love all the controls the PCM have, seriously only about 8 wires to the pcm and plug in the rest in your engine and your off and running...

I could see this little motor replacing alot of the old GENI stuff out of peoples cars.
Looking at the pics of the motor I can already see the story, cheap truck motor 5.3, with wiring and PCM found at the local yeard for $1500 bolted up the th350 and was off an running with 290-300hp on tap and 19-22 miles to the gallon..lol

love it:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
did you figure out the compressor issue?:turn: Or are you going to tough out the so cal heat:D
There is no room to run the compressor down low in the factory location. I'll need to buy the bracket to mount it up hi on the pass side. That will be later on.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that is one ugly engine. but you gotta love the ls1 engines for power. I would love to do one someday soon. let me know how the torque is when you drive it. how much power are you shooting for?
not looking to make power. Just want it stock and dependable.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The motor looks right at home in there. Looks like there is plenty of clearance for the truck manifold too.
I actually had to trim a little of the bracing on the hood for it to clear the highest point of the intake. These things are tall.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
I actually had to trim a little of the bracing on the hood for it to clear the highest point of the intake. These things are tall.
Any thoughts on changing intakes to the Corvette/Camaro/Trans Am style?

How about the oil pan? I know that the truck version hangs pretty low.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any thoughts on changing intakes to the Corvette/Camaro/Trans Am style?

How about the oil pan? I know that the truck version hangs pretty low.
If I change the intake, I would have to change all of the drive accessories. My goal was to use the factory clutch fan. It's just preference.

The pan I used is from a Hummer 5.3. It's just over an inch shorter than the truck pan. Still low, but the F-body pan would hit the steering center link.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Does the alternator clear the hood o.k.?
How close is the throttle body to the hood?

Have you seen these guys? www.champpans.com
They sell a steel pan that mounts the oil filter in the stock location. The sump is only 5 1/2 inches deep.

If I change the intake, I would have to change all of the drive accessories. My goal was to use the factory clutch fan. It's just preference.

The pan I used is from a Hummer 5.3. It's just over an inch shorter than the truck pan. Still low, but the F-body pan would hit the steering center link.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the alternator clear the hood o.k.?
How close is the throttle body to the hood?

Have you seen these guys? www.champpans.com
They sell a steel pan that mounts the oil filter in the stock location. The sump is only 5 1/2 inches deep.
Everything clears the hood fine, except for the raised boss for the intake cover. (highest point of the intake) which only hits because of the bracing under the hood. I trimmed a little bit of the bracing and it clears fine.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How much did you pay for the whole setup... that would look very nice under my hood????

Steve
Depends on what you consider the whole set-up?

The Retro-fit kit from Turn Key which includes, oil pan, wire harness, flex plate, starter, headers, engine brackets, throttle body, fuel pump and filters is about $1,200

I bought the engine and trans for $1,300

*****did'nt notice you were askiing about the blower. not sure about that****

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Depends on what you consider the whole set-up?

The Retro-fit kit from Turn Key which includes, oil pan, wire harness, flex plate, starter, headers, engine brackets, throttle body, fuel pump and filters is about $1,200

I bought the engine and trans for $1,300
That's a pretty cheap, turn-key conversion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts