Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just took the trim off around the windshield and the windshield rubber (on my 63 vair) it was coated with some type of stick sealer. It sticks to everything! Any way to get this stuff off! Any type of thinner? Tried acetone and it barely touched it.

Thanks
Tom

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Hey Tom, i notice yer offline... are you out tryin' the "Hankie" idea ??? :rolleyes:

that purple stuff's pretty good... i dunno if it'd work though...

·
6,558 Posts
I don't know if you want to just remove the stuff and not disturb or mar the paint but I had some glue or sealant around the window channel in a relations Dart and since it is getting repainted I could get somewhat agressive with the removal.
I tried thinners and reducers only to make it worse as it did break it apart somewhat but it was thick and I was taking too much time getting it off. I then took a putty knife and some razor blade box cutters and removed what I could this was but there was still a lot of junk left behind. I tried a wire wheel and it started taking it off but quickly clogged up and for some reason I shot a spot with some windex and took the wire wheel to it and it took it off. Some of the globs of glue residue landed elsewhere on the car but since the car had a very fine layer of dust on it from other bodywork it brushed right off.
Here's a picture of it.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Tom how did you get your windshield out without breaking it? As you know I'am parting out that 66 Monza and it has a nice windshied so I'd like to save it, also I will have to pull the windshied out of my 66 corsa turbo conv. without hurting it. Did you use a windshield cutting tool or music wire?

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
im wondering if the amonia in the windex helped break it up, maybe try some acetone (nail polish remover)

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
vaporloc said:
Tom how did you get your windshield out without breaking it? As you know I'am parting out that 66 Monza and it has a nice windshied so I'd like to save it, also I will have to pull the windshied out of my 66 corsa turbo conv. without hurting it. Did you use a windshield cutting tool or music wire?

I'm not sure if the earlys are different but I have a rubber gasket that holds the window in. So I took a wood paint stirer and after removing all the interior molding I pushed the rubber behind the pinch weld starting about 1/2 way up the drivers side and kept moving my way up then along the top the whole time I had my foot putting pressure (still flexable enough!) on the glass to aid in getting the rubber past the pinch weld. After getting about 1/3 the way it got easier because the windshield was moving away from the frame. After getting the top free and upper sides, just had a neighbor help me lift it out.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
No my windshields are held in with that tickie-tackie black sealant. My 64 chevyII post car had the rubber gasket. it was easy, I just cut it out with a razor knife and replaced the rubber gasket.

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it appears that lacquer thinner is the key.

What works is scrape as much as possible off with a bono spreader then use a papertowel douced in lacquer thinner and slowly wipe to allow it to dissolve the goop.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
When I replace the weather stripping in one of my side windows for my 64 2dr. post chevy II, I noticed that the part that held the glass in was broken off at the spot welds. I removed the glass out of the track to weld it up. I took it to jack morris auto glass to see if they had any of that rubber felt type paper that held it in like factory. They installed it with a Black glue of some sort from a chaulking gun. They used lacquer thinner to clean the glue from the glass when they had it all done. Cleaned like a white tornado.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts