Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

So I bought a Goodmark 2" cowl hood and I am having trouble getting the hood to line up with the top of the fender line. When I close the hood there is about a 3/16" gap going down each side of the fender line. The rear and front of the hood line up fine.

Here is the odd thing, I can push down on the sides of the hood and then it lines up fine, I have the hood hinges all the way down as far as they will go on the bolts and the springs are almost new. Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
its sitting high? try rotating the hood hinge, what I mean is rear up and front down vice front and rear down. Or rear down front up.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You might have some slop in your hood hinges themselves. I just got a hood on my 72 (fiberglass), all the gaps are great, but when I shut the hood the rear corners poke up a bit. I can go over, push them down, and it sits perfect. My hood hinges have a lot of slop in them, but I don't feel like getting new ones right now so I'm just gonna deal with it for now.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Hi All:

So I bought a Goodmark 2" cowl hood and I am having trouble getting the hood to line up with the top of the fender line. When I close the hood there is about a 3/16" gap going down each side of the fender line. The rear and front of the hood line up fine.

Here is the odd thing, I can push down on the sides of the hood and then it lines up fine, I have the hood hinges all the way down as far as they will go on the bolts and the springs are almost new. Any ideas?:confused:
What kind of gap? Where the hood is high in the middle of the fender like the hood is bowed? If so, same problem with many of the aftermarket cowl hoods. Stock hood fit fine. The problem is too much tension on the lighter gauge hood.

Fixes are to find lighter hood springs, then you run the risk of the hood not staying up as well. Or remove the springs and use a prop rod.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the bulge is in the middle of the fender line, what is strange is that I can push it down and it fits fine. I'll try taking the springs off and see if that makes a difference. I'll let everyone know.

I also talked to Walt at ClassicNova today about this, he mentioned the same thing as Duane, to cant the hinges from front to back. I'll try this also. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts