Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, let's have it straight !!!!! how well do the GoodMark fenders fit 1st gen Nova's??? I have used then on a 70 Chevelle and was ok fit...used them on a 68 Camaro and was a waist of time...POOR fit.
Any and all input will be greatly appreciated... Hopefully this will save me some time in deciding which way to go. I can drive to GoodMark in a tad over an hours so shipping is not a factor.

Also, looking at G' marks web sight, it appears their fenders do not have the mounting holes for the body side moldings....??? how easy to drill/stamp these???:confused:

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

On the second generation Novas they fit great...I was pleasantly surprised. on the holes for the trim...just drill them. Put your trim piece on the fender where you want it, make marks where you want the holes, then drill them. Use a little bit of silicone on the holes to seal them and you should be fine.

Jason

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
After market body panels are good, not always excellent but good. Wether its Goodmark, DII or whoever none of them will tell you that they are bolt on and go. The beginning page on Classic Muscle's site for sheetmetal even says that new panels might have slight dings and soft bends.

Some to most of the time the panels you get will need a little "messaging" to get them perfect.

Fenders, 1/4's and door skins are made to fit multiple years and trim packages so the trim specific holes are NOT pre-drilled.

Wether you go to Classic Ind, Classic Muscle, NNN, C2O, Me, or whoever the panels you get are usually from the same place. But Goodmark and DII do have some of their own molds/stamps to make their own parts.

As far as the bash goes that I deleted, you need to find a dealer who "you" can trust and one that will work with you on returns for dammaged parts.

Also some of the NOS parts that are to be found these days can be in the same or worse condition then aftermarket, since the dies get worn after plenty of use and the panels made at the end of the die cycle are crap.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
NIGHTSHADE said:
Also some of the NOS parts that are to be found these days can be in the same or worse condition then aftermarket, since the dies get worn after plenty of use and the panels made at the end of the die cycle are crap.
Thats a very true statement, but usually rings true for the third generation stuff.......

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I have been doing collision repair since 1976. When I started, OEM (original equipment manufacturer) panels were not high quality. There was usually some bending, shimming, hammering or straightening to do. The panels almost always needed holes to be located and drilled for moldings and trim. If you are looking for a panel to bolt on, and not have to do any alterations, it probably isn't going to happen.
OEM replacement panels for late model cars these days fit much better. Quality over the years has improved.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I've had good luck both on installing and selling the first gen. fenders. As far as the Camaro fenders I know that Goodmark re-tooled to improve the quality of those fenders. As far as adding the appropriate trim holes, its not that hard. Just take your time and mark them out making sure to keep them lined up with the other panels.

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I won't say anything about the '67 fender fitment.........

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
67pete said:
I won't say anything about the '67 fender fitment.........
Thats good, because you can't get 67 fenders from Goodmark. Long time ago you could but they were junk and discontinued. Still waiting on the newly tooled ones. Besides that they are 66 fenders not made for 67's.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. I stepped up and bought Both "original" fenders. Yep, ebay !!! picked them up yesterday and am VERY happy. Did not spend quite as much as repop's, and feel better knowing THESE are correct.

again thanks, Jim:cool:

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Since it was brought up, Goodmark '66 fenders are supposed to be available in 30-90 days and they say that the fit is excellent (they say). 67 fenders are to follow shortly after.

The ones on the market now are more then likely Dynacorn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts