Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
swaped out the 700 for a TH400 I had stored away last nite.
what a totally different car!!!!!! more torque,engine is by far more snapy now
that 700 was such a pooch,the car and I are much happier now.sure I lost the overdrive but the tradeoff is worth it.
tires chirp when it shifts into 2nd :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Higher RPM stall converter in the 400?

The gears in the 700R4 should get you moving pretty well.

Glad it worked out for you.

Rob

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
what rear gears do you have in the diff ? i sure like the 700r4 i have an it will chip the tires when it shifts into 2nd. gear. an the lower rpm's at highway speeds is sure nice.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still the 308 gearing and I have to admit geared up would have helped the 700. the car just seems to run so much crisper now.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The 700R4 has steeper gears in first and second than the turbo 400. 3.06 to 1.62 in the 700r4 to 2.48 to 1.48 in the 400. The only bad thing I will say about my 700r4 is that there is a fairly large drop between first and second. The overdrive helps negate any thoughts of switching. If using the same stall converter the 700r4 should be quicker. Both transmissions take more power to turn over say a 350 or powerglide.

·
Super Moderator
3,836 Posts
It's the rear gearing mostly. Especially if you run with bigger wheels/tires (almost everyone does), then the 700 will be tough with a 3.08 rear. Look at the stock vehicles with a 700R4 and you won't see much taller than 3.42.

That said, there's something satisfying about a TH400. Had one in a truck that was super reliable and perfect for the vehicle...when gas was cheaper.

·
Registered
162 Posts
That said, there's something satisfying about a TH400.
Ain't that the truth!

Simple, toughest trans out there, shifts like a dream when built correctly, and cheap. I just put one behind a junkyard 4.8 in my Thirdgen Camaro and it makes me grin everytime I put the hammer down. (as an aside a small cam in a 4.8 went [email protected]! dirt cheap!)

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ain't that the truth!

Simple, toughest trans out there, shifts like a dream when built correctly, and cheap.
YES!
all I know is the 700 made the car sluggish and no fun to drive.
yes the 400 had a high quality build with shift kit.(took it out of my chevelle and knew it was a good trans).
this trans should outlast the car.
instead of storing it im using it and couldn't be happier.
makes me happy and that's all that matters :D

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,867 Posts
Way to go Ken, glad it worked out for you !

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what did you do for a driveshaft? Going to be looking for a shorter on when i drop out the Turbo 350, I built a 700r4 from scratch and will need a shorter shaft. (Its the Irish in me Get it!)

swaped out the 700 for a TH400 I had stored away last nite.
what a totally different car!!!!!! more torque,engine is by far more snapy now
that 700 was such a pooch,the car and I are much happier now.sure I lost the overdrive but the tradeoff is worth it.
tires chirp when it shifts into 2nd :D

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Glad you like the 400. As said above the 3.06 first gear in the 700 would move the car better off the line if the converters were the same stall speed. I’d bet you have a looser converter. The 400 is definitely stronger. You could add a gear vendor to it and recoup your overdrive. I’ve got one behind a stout powerglide.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what did you do for a driveshaft? Going to be looking for a shorter on when i drop out the Turbo 350, I built a 700r4 from scratch and will need a shorter shaft. (Its the Irish in me Get it!)
I had a long yoke for the 400 and used it on the short driveshaft.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you like the 400. As said above the 3.06 first gear in the 700 would move the car better off the line if the converters were the same stall speed. I’d bet you have a looser converter. The 400 is definitely stronger. You could add a gear vendor to it and recoup your overdrive. I’ve got one behind a stout powerglide.
Enjoy!
the 700 I had will not outperform this 400 off the line.i know this for sure.
I spent enough on this car and had the 400 in stock. lol

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
the 700 I had will not outperform this 400 off the line.i know this for sure.
I spent enough on this car and had the 400 in stock. lol
I here ya on the spending. If the 4oo takes a dump or you feel the need for O.D. again consider a 4L80E ; essentailly a th400 with O.D.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts