Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a good mechanic in my area? I need to figure out my carb/vacuum/timing issue. I have posted in 3rd gen trying to figure it out on my own but I am not having much luck. I am sure it will be easy for someone who knows what they are doing. I just dont want to be taken for a ride. Any help appreciated.

I live in Everett Mass.

I would prefer to figure it out on my own so if anyone wants to help me out so I can avoid the mechanic that would be appreciated also...:D

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in MA. What is it doing?
Hi...

Well I installed headers and new plugs and wires. Its a 350 with 2 brl.

It hesitates on take off, and when cruising it surges. When I step on it , it goes fine. I took some pictures of the carb and vacuum lines. You can see them in the 3rd gen forum under title 2 barrel or 4 barrel.

I really would like to figure it out without having a mechanic do it. I dont want anyone to think I am cheap. I will pay if I have to. I just want to know how to work on my own car, or at least be able to trouble shoot most things.

I will eventually install an intake and 4 brl carb. I have them I just need to muster up the balls to start.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I completely understand the work on it yourself thing - I am the same way. I don't mind paying, I just like doing it myself.

First thing I would say is that if you have the manifold and 4 barrell, I would go ahead and do the swap and then figure out the problem. The reason is that there are many things that could cause your problem. It could be the carb, the timing and or a vacuum leak.

With the car running put your hand over the carb 'intake' and block the air from going in. Does the rpm stay the same, go up or down?

Do you have vacuum adavance on the distributor? Have you checked the timing?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I completely understand the work on it yourself thing - I am the same way. I don't mind paying, I just like doing it myself.

First thing I would say is that if you have the manifold and 4 barrell, I would go ahead and do the swap and then figure out the problem. The reason is that there are many things that could cause your problem. It could be the carb, the timing and or a vacuum leak.

With the car running put your hand over the carb 'intake' and block the air from going in. Does the rpm stay the same, go up or down?

Do you have vacuum adavance on the distributor? Have you checked the timing?
I will try that.

A friends uncle is supposed to come over and check the timing for me but I dont know if he will show. I should figure out how to check the timing myself.

Yes I believe the dist is vacuum advance.

Did you get a chance to look at the pictures? There are also two hoses that come off the back of the carb. Both suck air. One was connected to the air cleaner and the other was connected to the exhaust manifold before I removed them. Some say cap the hoses but then someone told me not too...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just looked at the pics. Wow, you have quite a mess or stuff under there... you should see my engine.

How far away are you from Acton, MA? Do you work days or are you ever around? If there is a sunny day during the week, I would be willing to spend some time with you and see if we can figure it out.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just looked at the pics. Wow, you have quite a mess or stuff under there... you should see my engine.

How far away are you from Acton, MA? Do you work days or are you ever around? If there is a sunny day during the week, I would be willing to spend some time with you and see if we can figure it out.
Acton's not that far maybe 30 - 40 min. I usually have a pretty flexible schedule day, evening and weekends. But either way you'd be doing me the favor so I would make the time. So that would be great let me know when you have any free time and I will adjust my schedule.

Do you have pics of your car posted on here? I will search for them if so.

Thanks again

·
Registered
594 Posts
Not to hijack the the thread but I need to find someone in the quakertown pa area for the same issue I can't seem to get the car running right I know I must be missing something but I can't figure it out thanks. Its supprising how many shop don't tune carbs anymore

1 - 12 of 12 Posts