Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to unforeseen circumstances and the fact that my 400 core is no good, I have decided to rebuild the 307 again. I'm not looking for big power here, I just want my car running well, because not having it is driving me insane. I'm now on a razor thin budget, and I need a cam that works well in a relatively stock 307. Supposedly it has 9:1 compression with a .015 steel shim. I have my eye on the summit cams because they're so cheap and so far nothing I've purchased under their brand has been a disappointment. Will any of these work decently in a 307? Camquest is telling me a comp cams 260H would be good, but they're pricey compared to the summit ones.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
did a study on this awhile back

the comp cams 268 was THE BEST out of all the other cams :yes:

Im about to bump that topic so be on the look out!

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I have a Comp 268 in our 307 right now, and it runs pretty good. If I were to do it again, I'd run either Lunati's 262 Voodoo or their 268 Voodoo. See if you can find a set of 305HO heads off like a Monte SS or a carburated 3rd gen Z/28 or Trans Am. You should be able to get them for next to nothing.You should also be able to get the matching factory aluminum intake off the engine for under $50. That'll give you a true 9.5 compression ratio and the Voodoo 268 cam will should run really well. It'll have a nice lope at idle, and decent throttle response, but throttle response ans torque should be good from like 2500-5500rpm no problems. IMO

·
Registered
733 Posts
The first "hot rod"motor I built was a 307.

It was basicly a stock motor.With a comp cams 270h.A performer RPM intake.1406 carb.All the other little bolt on's.

I loved that little motor.I used to rev it up to 6500-7000RPMS.And it liked it.

Eventually it started burning oil.And I broke the clutch disk into 3 pieces.

Anyway a cam somewhere around those specs is what I would recomend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts