Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Sears is having a 30% off everything since they are going out of business and since I'm going to be building a short block very soon I was looking at their micrometers and feeler gauges tonight. Does anyone know if these would work or should I look at another brand or doing the short block measurements?

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
i use starret micrometers the feeler gauges i use are crafstman i would get them if sears is selling micrometers and feeler gauges i would get them :yes:

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
eh imo i wouldnt go with cheap brand stuff when using that kind of specialized equipment.

But thats just me.:yes:

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
the bad thing about cheap micrometers is just that " cheap " sometimes there off by a lot and when your building a motor , trans , rearend diff, or anything that needs to be checked for clearance you dont want cheap :no: thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
any good micrometer set should come with the proper adjustment tools and verifying gage blocks to keep your stuff accurate.

Wow Sears going out of business....yea If you got the cash go on a shopping spree!!!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
any good micrometer set should come with the proper adjustment tools and verifying gage blocks to keep your stuff accurate.
Exactly!! Even starrett sends standards with their mics. For me its just what feels better in the hand, and whats affordable. I have a set to 6" in starrett, all bought used, they have served me well. Then enco was moving some fowler mic sets to 12" (chinese, but that doesnt bother me) so I picked that up. They are really nice. Not like the over sized clunky harbor freight junk. Silky smooth.

And really, its the operator error usually when it comes to measuring under a thou. All about feel, control and repeatability. Sometimes I can measure a ground rod several times and get a variation of .0001 to .0003. Till I get in the groove, get comfortable and take my time. Then I can set out all my parts, and I document them if its critical, and come back to a part (yeah, I double, triple check alot) and Im reading what I documented earlier. For me its all about feel. And I dont like the lil ratchet on the end. I get a better feel without it. Cept for one mic I have. Its a Mit digital. That lil gem has the softest (lil ratchets, not like big clanking paws slamming down) ratchet I have used.

And for me to get a decent measurement dealing with under a thou its all about cleanliness and positioning. Square to the work, hard to do if your fighting to keep your own balance. And surface finish can throw off your numbers.

But for anything to a thou Ill bet the sears brand will be just fine. Better than using a caliper or eyeballing a tape measure. Been there, done that LOL JR

1 - 7 of 7 Posts