Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
the summit coated ones look identical to those... I had a set on my nova when a I had the 355 in it.....

the coating dulled out in about a year..... but fit and construction was darb:D...

plugs were easy(straight) (angle will not fit) wires were well out of the way....

passengers side sliped in from the top.... drivers took a bit more fenageling from the bottom... but slid in once the clearance and height were achieved.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the summit coated ones look identical to those... I had a set on my nova when a I had the 355 in it.....

the coating dulled out in about a year..... but fit and construction was darb:D...

plugs were easy(straight) (angle will not fit) wires were well out of the way....

passengers side sliped in from the top.... drivers took a bit more fenageling from the bottom... but slid in once the clearance and height were achieved.
are they the same really? like performance and all that would it make a difference? the finish on the summit ones just look better then that crap black ha i love the look of the coated ones :yes:

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
here are the summit coated.. on the 355... $175.00

here are the Hedman 1.75" jethot coated... $550.00

you can see the summit header is exactly like the hooker... on the passenger side

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o wow they look exactly the same. well dose it matter which i get? i just always liked the coated finish instead of that nasty black but if theres no difference then ill get the summit ones

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I would opt for the summit set... coated.... I liked them... they were on the car for 2 years... I had no complaints...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
here are the summit coated.. on the 355... $175.00

here are the Hedman 1.75" jethot coated... $550.00

you can see the summit header is exactly like the hooker... on the passenger side

If you look closely the #2 pipe is routed different and #6 comes out and down farther than the hookers. But were talking 1 5/8" vs 1 3/4" different headers IMO.

What I don't like about the hooker comp 1 5/8" headers is the #6 tube is too close to the plug so the boot always burns and its a PITA to change that plug. Driver side isn't as bad but it has issues too. They fit nice but waaaaayyyy to close to the starter IMO. The hooker super comp 1 7/8" header has more starter and plug clearance than the 1 5/8" comps.
So by looking at that link from summit they look identical to the hooker comps.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I will add there is nothing wrong with those headers, just route #6 like in the pic above. Also get the accel shorty plugs too. And when you fire up the car let all that black paint crap burn off, then pull the headers out, scuff them and clean them and let sit in the hot sun then use VHT high heat paint and repaint them black. After that they won't discolor.:D

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
If you look closely the #2 pipe is routed different and #6 comes out and down farther than the hookers. But were talking 1 5/8" vs 1 3/4" different headers IMO.

What I don't like about the hooker comp 1 5/8" headers is the #6 tube is too close to the plug so the boot always burns and its a PITA to change that plug. Driver side isn't as bad but it has issues too. They fit nice but waaaaayyyy to close to the starter IMO. The hooker super comp 1 7/8" header has more starter and plug clearance than the 1 5/8" comps.
So by looking at that link from summit they look identical to the hooker comps.
I dont see the difference...

Hookers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2451HKR/?image=large

Summits

these are the cheap universal SBC header.. they fit every thing from the 1965 Impala to 1976 impala, 67 camaro to 1981 camaro, Chevelle from 1964 to 1976....and nova from 1968 to 1979..

I sold a ton of these when the speed shop was open... from 1975 to 1981

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I dont see the difference...

Hookers
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2451HKR/?image=large

Summits

these are the cheap universal SBC header.. they fit every thing from the 1965 Impala to 1976 impala, 67 camaro to 1981 camaro, Chevelle from 1964 to 1976....and nova from 1968 to 1979..

I sold a ton of these when the speed shop was open... from 1975 to 1981
ok...in your 1st set of photos I was refering to the fact pic #2 were 1 3/4" heddman headers vs pic #1 which were the 1 5/8" summit headers. You even put titles on the pics.

Yes you are right there is no difference between the summit 1 5/8" header and the hooker comp 1 5/8" header. I just wished they would bring the passenger side tubes out alittle farther away from the starter and move #2 and #6 tube away from the plug area, like the 1 3/4" headers are.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
No doubt they are a piece of cake to install. Pass side drops in thru the top and the drivers side goes in from the bottom. Just the the car high enough and poof they're in.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts