Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need rear brake light lens but the only problem is if i remember correctly from 2 yrs ago all the trunks are closed and i need some advice on getting them open the best i can think of is a chisel and a three pounder to the lock with my girl on the end of a crowbar helpin any advice?

·
Registered
735 Posts
I got a trunk lid for my dad's Camaro from the junkyard once. The lid was closed and I only had basic tool kit with me, so I just lifted up on the lid really hard and it just popped open without any damage to the lid.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
Look at the latch inside your trunk, it is held on with 3 bolts. Using the right size socket, a ratchet and several extensions taped together it is possible to remove the screws from the inside of the car and open the lid. Why destroy them just to look inside. I can tell you the chances of finding any good tail lamp lens and housings are slim.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Haven't tried this, but I heard that if you remove the licence plate light, you can reach in and pull down the trunk lock retainer. Once that's out, carefully remove the trunk lock and open the trunk w/a common screwdriver.

Again, I haven't tried this.:devil:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If the quarters are bad and you dont care just bring a cordless sawsall or jigsaw and cut a large hole in the quarters to get to the lights.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Haven't tried this, but I heard that if you remove the licence plate light, you can reach in and pull down the trunk lock retainer. Once that's out, carefully remove the trunk lock and open the trunk w/a common screwdriver.

Again, I haven't tried this.:devil:
it deffinitly works this way and have personally done it myself at the junk yard, 2 bolts on the lp lite, fish out the light harrness out of the way and pry the clip off the lock cylinder and pop the cylinder out.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i locked mine in a 73 nova once and all i did was took the back seat out and with a long flathead you can get into the back of the keey hole and turn it it will pop open . i think it was gm's try at a safety option for people getting kidnapped lo:yes::yes:l . take the seat out , shine a flashlight at the trunk pop and you will see a circle with a rectangle cut out of it . put the screwdrive in theat rectangle and turn like a keep it should pop right open .. p.s. i have long arms so you may need some thing longer

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Primitive Quick Method.

#2 Craftsman Straight blade and a hammer. Pound the straight blade right where the key would go in the lock tumbler. You'll feel it stop.

Then take a pair of channel lock pliers (or adjustable wrench) and twist the screwdriver clockwise in the lock till the trunk latch releases.

The trunk lock release assembly behind the lock keyhole is simply a slot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts