Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
77' SS clone up for sale, looks real nice in photos. I'm told the car is clean and mint (full restoration done a few years ago) with a 350 crate motor recently installed. They're asking $9k.

Seems like a good deal, I'm going to head over there later this week to have a look. I'm new to Novas, and don't know much about them -- can anyone offer advice on what to look for when checking her out?

Thanks,
A.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Nova

The first thing you look for is it a 1972 or older, If your going to spend the money get one thats already going up in value. Goood Luck

·
Registered
582 Posts
Price sound fair... If the car is either a coupe or a hatchback, check the usual rust places, rear fenderwells, rear wheelwells, door bottoms, lower front fenders, under the rear quarter windows, inside in the rear corners of the rear fenders next to the taillights.

A common problem is serious rust or cracks in the lower radiator support bolt hole area, and in front fender skirts in same area. Repair is complicated and requires front end removal.

Also check for a good solid restoration or preservation of the plastic bumper filler pieces, these are hard to find.

Take a close look at the bumpers, if they have the deluxe impact strip it should be the original type, not a glued replacement. These are very hard to find.

Check for a level rear suspension, good glass trim work, doors not hanging down and closing properly, misaligned hood or trunk.

In hatchbacks, the floor under the spare has to be checked carefully, its usually rusted out to some degree. I have rarely ever seen one without rust work. Also check the underside of the hatch door, it should not be rusted out in the rear or under the shocks. Also outside under the lower rear window molding.

I dont know if you are looking for originality or a custom, if you want originality there are other things to check in the engine compt or interior. You should then be aware of original trim, moldings, etc.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The first thing you look for is it a 1972 or older, If your going to spend the money get one thats already going up in value. Goood Luck
Dont agree. Id say go for the car you like. If you want a 4th gen, dont buy another gen, thats for starters. A good original car is always going up in value, and 4th gens are really out there now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks dlezama for all of those great pointers. I'm not concerned with originality, I just like the styling of the 4th gen novas and want a good base to start with for a non-winter daily driver.

Here's a link to the ad:

http://www.armstrongsautosales.ca/u...let-Nova-d5ca73a0404638bf0004cfa9261b6772.htm

Looks pretty straight from what I can see, but obviously need to have a closer look. Some rust in the trunk, when I spoke to the salesman he mentioned that the seal for the trunk doesn't fit right, and so the trunk leaks a bit. Doesn't sound hard to fix, but makes you wonder about any other restoration work done. Perhaps the trunk could be misaligned as well.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
There's one in every crowd. I wonder, is it any coincidence that his car "happens" to be a 72, and that the "cutoff" for rising values (that he claims) also happens to be a 72?

In truth, those of us that have owned 4th Gens for a while have already begun to see a steady increase in the values and prices for these 4th Gen cars. Yes, they can still be had for a relative bargain if you shop around, but the prices are coming up and the really good ones are getting pretty scarce, especially if the paint/bodywork is solid.

If you do decide to buy this 77, get used to this attitude. There are plenty of 3rd Gen guys out their lining up to look down their noses at the 4th Gen guys, because they think they only the only "true" Novas on the streets. . . .

J

·
14,584 Posts
Other than the fact that it sits pretty high it looks like a decent car. If 4th gen is what you like then get it. You couldn't fix it up to look that nice for $9k.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Other than setting to high in the back, it looks good from here. Check that body out really well. Talk him down, he at least should come down $500 or so if he wants to move it off the lot. Good luck with it. :yes:

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I would say anything 79 or older is a good investment ( some go up in price fast than others ):yes:

Unless your into the 85 - 88, Well I hope that you have some time ( like 2 to 4 hours of discussion ) to talk about at whats real investment ( and the other members would help in this discussion ) :D

Typical Rust areas for these cars, are what some of our members have mentioned above already...

Esp. with the 75 - 79 Novas parts are kinda scare because they are not producing them yet ( which I hope soon for our members that have them ).

So any plastic, trim pieces ( inside and out ) , dash ( anything around it bezel, pad, vents, etc... ) , as I called the light pieces, have to be in great shape, if not your ll be searching for better ones ( unless your going a different direction than Original ).

With the metal pieces ( or heavy pieces ), like the quarters ( inside lip, bottom end between the wheel well going to toward the bumper )

Around the windows ( under the trim n in the window channels )

Fenders in front ( at where the headlamp trim is, to see it was wrecked ) and the bottom end ( at where the fender meets the door, leafs usually collect up in there )

Inside of the hood lip area ( water collects up in there )

Radiator support ( or core support ) around the body mount section n the battery tray area

Floors ( look under the carpet or plastic mat and in the trunk area )

And look at the wiring ( if it isnt all cut up ), etc....

Also bring a magnet and you can check the fenders, quarters, etc....to check for filler ( or bondo )

Because the paint looks kinda new to me ( in my opinion )

Most Important of all, Welcome to the Site :waving:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
i agree there is too much air in the rear shocks.. im not real wild about the blue outside and tan inside , but ya gotta admit its different, but as ya all know any BLUE nova is a good nova.i like 4rth gens , id love to have a hatchback , flip the rear seat down and only 2 can ride at a time.. ha

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi Auvie,

I'm a huge fan of 4th gens but will go out on a limb to say be careful. That the price is a bit too much for that car. Don't misunderstand: the paint is really nice and the body looks straight, but for $9K I'd bring a magnet or have the guy agree to have a body shop look at it.

Total stock interior leads me to believe they bought a brown, tan or white car to paint and flip. Nothing wrong with it but sometimes the bodywork is done quick and inexpensively. Air shocks may mean bad springs which are another known problem.

Other members have mentioned scarcity of aftermarket parts. There are more body and interior parts that we as a group want that are not reproduced. Yet. Ebay is a 4th-genners friend when it comes to many parts not reproduced. People here are great for the same reason.

If you go for it, you won't be disappointed. These are great cars no matter what anyone says.

Welcome to Steve's!
Jay

·
Registered
118 Posts
I knew that my car had been in a wreck before I got it. The obvious clues were misaligned/bent parts behind the grill.

The not so obvious damage is that the hit shifted the passenger side subframe back. The bolts are still at an angle. The easiest way to check this is to measure the tires placement in the wheelwell. On mine, there is actually a rub mark at the rear of the wheelwell when the wheel is turned to the right.

The car drives and handles nice, but it needs to be corrected because it does dogtrack slightly.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Why be like everyone else and be a copy when you can be like the few the proud the 4th Gen owners, Anybody can fix up a 72 back, But REAL Hot Rodders and Mechanics can Fix up any year, And well I guess I like 4th Gens, Since I have owned one for 33 years, And I think I did OK on fixing mine up, Bet I get more thumps up than his 72 does. Hey if he wants to hit below the belt We can too, I think the 77 has alot of prudential and yes it sits high, So first things would be get wheels that fit it without having to have air shocks. But for a fix up Car and if you like it, Go For it

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks dlezama for all of those great pointers. I'm not concerned with originality, I just like the styling of the 4th gen novas and want a good base to start with for a non-winter daily driver.

Here's a link to the ad:

http://www.armstrongsautosales.ca/u...let-Nova-d5ca73a0404638bf0004cfa9261b6772.htm

Looks pretty straight from what I can see, but obviously need to have a closer look. Some rust in the trunk, when I spoke to the salesman he mentioned that the seal for the trunk doesn't fit right, and so the trunk leaks a bit. Doesn't sound hard to fix, but makes you wonder about any other restoration work done. Perhaps the trunk could be misaligned as well.
Heres my opinion based on the pictures only... It is pretty straight. There seems to be some body work on the LH rear fender, well done but not perfect. The paint is OK but seems obviously not original. Is it a quality or cheap repaint? Your call to decide.

Dont like a couple of issues. The interior and dash is completely recovered in new vinyl. Seems like it was sundamaged to me maybe. Why is there extra material hanging out the door jambs?

The trunk floor seems a cheap respray with spatter paint. Check it well for work, as well as the front floor pans from the underneath. The spare is a white wheel. Was the car white? You dont want a blue on white repaint getting chipped...

You cant know if the rear springs are good or bad, because the air shocks cant be turned off, the wheels are way out of the body of the car. You will have to change the wheels for ones with a different backspacing. These, and your fenders, will be destroyed if the shocks ever fail.

Same goes for front. These will rub everywhere, they have no travel. Why would anyone slap incorrect wheels on this car? To sell?

Considering all this, seems a bit expensive. Youd have to look it up closer.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
The 77 looks like a good car but I would look for a drop top. Yes I have a 63 drop top which makes me a little biased. But there are not many of the 62 & 63 drop tops left on the road. If we can save this style it would be great. The bottom line is to get what makes you happy!!:yes: Enjoy the Nova that you buy!!

:ragtop:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks all for the further comments, looks like there's a few things I need to watch out for. I got in touch with the previous owner, he some of what he said:

"350 chev crate motor just installed. mild cam. edelbrock performer rpm intake. complete rebuilt distributor. new richmond 3:73 gears and bearings. new rear springs. rear air shocks. car is clean & mint."

Apparently the car was restored about 3 years ago, and the above is the major work he did on her. Seems as though I shouldn't have to worry about the rear suspension, at least.

·
Registered
667 Posts
thanks all for the further comments, looks like there's a few things I need to watch out for. I got in touch with the previous owner, he some of what he said:

"350 chev crate motor just installed. mild cam. edelbrock performer rpm intake. complete rebuilt distributor. new richmond 3:73 gears and bearings. new rear springs. rear air shocks. car is clean & mint."

Apparently the car was restored about 3 years ago, and the above is the major work he did on her. Seems as though I shouldn't have to worry about the rear suspension, at least.
Huge red flag there man. He rebuilt the suspension and still needed air shocks? He's either a liar or incompetent. Sounds like the car is on consignment so the guy is just another salesman, not a uninterested bystander. Take it all with a grain of salt.

IMO, way too much money for that car

1 - 20 of 49 Posts