Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
I have a crate ZZ454 in my '56 Chevy. I added an Edelbrock AirGap, 750DP, MSD ign and a set of real headers.
It's as fast as I want for a street car.
With all forged internals I think its a terrific engine. I'd do it again....

BTW, it is claimed the AirGap adds 30 HP. I find that hard to believe but if close to true, that is very cheap HP.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a crate ZZ454 in my '56 Chevy. I added an Edelbrock AirGap, 750DP, MSD ign and a set of real headers.

BTW, it is claimed the AirGap adds 30 HP. I find that hard to believe but if close to true, that is very cheap HP.
Awesome thank you for responding. Doesn't changing the intake void the warranty?

Also do you have any videos of sound or performance? Did yours sound like the video examples I posted?

I am hearing the best way for the warranty is we have to let a Chevy dealer put it in. This way if anything happens I simply take it to them, no questions asked.

On my old leaky dead cylinder 454 that's in it now I was getting like 6 miles per gallon if that. I had to fill the tank every 4 days or so with not driving all that much. How are you doing with yours?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sorry, no way for me to post a video at this point.
Remarkably, it has a choppy idle given the factory cam has an LSA of 112.

Geeze, I wouldn't consider having a dealer install an engine, I'd think your project would get very expensive.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
With the very low warranty return rates on GM crates, I would have zero issues putting it in by myself. When you buy a GM crate, you're buying a factory new engine, not a reman or rebuilder.

Kev

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you guys think about the zz with aluminum heads or the HO without? There is quite the big difference in price. Will I be kicking myself for not going aluminum heads on down the road and saving a thousand?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Can you take some video and sound clips of yours?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I went with a Mark IV 454 in my 72. It’s dressed like a ZZ454 less the aluminium heads and gave me comparable dyno results. I had it in the shed from a previous car that ended up being sold as a rolling chassis.

I had a lot of questions about my big block conversion regarding correct positioning of the engine in the subframe. There were a couple of articles online (not on here) that set me straight. The difference in big and small block transmission crossmembers clearly indicates the positioning of the big block is slightly forward and to the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
878 Posts
Aluminum heads are a 70lb weight saving over CI. The ZZ heads have a "roval" intake port which is ideal for a street car.
I've not done a side by side with the Edelbrock alum head but it's said they are very similar

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi

Hi,
I'm a bit baffled!!!! In original post, the Yellow 55 Chevy video has the driver on the right side of car!!!!! Am I seeing things???????
Ken

·
Registered
344 Posts
But serious,just to gain some knowledge, I had a 67 Buick Riviera with a factory 454 way back. Are those the same engines you talk about? Don't recall the hp being that high in that car in my experience.
Or did Buick had their own engine department and are chevy 454 completely different engines?

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
Hi

Hi,
Your Buick had a Buick 455 motor likely, not the 454 Chevy motor,
Ken

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went with a Mark IV 454 in my 72. It’s dressed like a ZZ454 less the aluminium heads and gave me comparable dyno results. I had it in the shed from a previous car that ended up being sold as a rolling chassis.

I had a lot of questions about my big block conversion regarding correct positioning of the engine in the subframe. There were a couple of articles online (not on here) that set me straight. The difference in big and small block transmission crossmembers clearly indicates the positioning of the big block is slightly forward and to the passenger side.
What is the Mark IV? Was it just a model Chevy produced before the zz454? What Mark is this one?

·
Registered
198 Posts
The Chevy big block has evolved over the years with major casting or feature changes requiring a descriptor (generation) reference for guidance with properly fitting associated parts such as heads etc.

I chose to remain with the earlier Mark IV for many reasons. I had the correct Mark IV flywheel for the two piece rear main seal. I had a set of oval port heads (336781) that were correct for the Mark IV. I wanted to run a mechanical fuel pump so I needed the casting with the fuel pump boss. Gen V and some Gen VI engines don’t have the fuel pump casting. Also, mine is a 4 speed car so I needed the clutch linkage pivot stud mounting hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh I have a big question. Will I have issues with the oil pan on the zz454 going into my Nova? I have heard that some people have to switch it out for the 4 quart smaller pan.

Oh and p.s., Look again at the 55 Chevy. That actually did have the driver on the right side. Look at the other cars where they are parked and other things around and you can see its not flipped.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Aluminum heads are a 70lb weight saving over CI. The ZZ heads have a "roval" intake port which is ideal for a street car.
I've not done a side by side with the Edelbrock alum head but it's said they are very similar
Hey Alf, do you have any videos with sound bites of your setup? I have never seen or heard one in person.

Do you feel it has a good lopy cam sound?

Is the motor pretty snappy and fast?

If I already have a 454 in it, will I need to switch any of the trans parts such as the bell housing or flywheel?

Lastly, I called that website that had the super good price and apparently that price is wrong and an older model that doesn't exist anymore. So now I am looking at an extra thousand dollars I didn't account for just yet. That is why I was asking about the HO version with CI heads.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts