Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, i dunno if i can get help with this, so i'll throw it out there and hope for the best...

are the backing plates all basically interchangable on a GM differential ??? is the bolt pattern the same ???

on my 68C10 i have an opportunity to get a rear disc set up from a 99-2000 Chevy truck... would this "Bolt-On" to my 68 ???

i've already priced new rotors and calipers... i'm concerned about the backing plates bolting onto my housing...

i appreciate the help, Thanks :D

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
gm appears to have two different housing ends(based on the Strange Cat)

The first one they call "GM Small"

the top 2 bolts center to center are 3 1/8"
the bottom 2 bolts center to center are 2 11/16"

The second one they call "GM Large"

the top 2 bolts center to center are 3 3/8"
The bottom 2 bolts center to center are 3 3/8"

I hope this helps ya out.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
the Flyer said:
Thanks Duane... further checking will be needed i see ;)
NPHNP....BTW they do list a third GM type but it is olds specific so I didnt mention it;)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
John I have a question for ya about the C10 trucks...I was looking at a '72 C10 the other day...350 auto with AC...long box, bench seat, the truck is not in too bad of shape considering the age and has very little rust...the motor has evidence of leaks but I havent called yet to inquire about a test drive....it will need paint almost ASAP...it has rally rims with faily fresh looking tires.....but anyway the guy is asking 3k OBO...is that out to lunch or is that what they go for now? BTW odomedor says 28K but I suspect that is at least 128K and very likly more...wadda think

sorry not trying to highjack your thread.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, figger i drove close ta 1200 miles for a "shorty" chassis... the long beds are not Nearly as desireable as the shorty... mine has the front discs on it too... not that this stuff couldn't be had from a bone yard... but IT'S getting ta be scarce too... for me, i'm done with aftermarket brakes (backing plates/spindles etc) i want GM factory stuff that's tried & true... my "aftermarket" rear discs on the Flyer, i wouldn't recommend to someone i don't like, let alone a friend... they seem ta punch 'em out and send ya a package of shims to space the backing plates properly... not as "quality" as i'd hope for 600 bucks...

depending on the total quality of the truck... i'd say maybe yes... BUT a bigger maybe no (from where i sit) 2 years ago or so i tried ta sell my 68 longstep for 1800.00 had ZERO interested... so i pulled the engine for the rust bucket...

the shorty on the other hand, i believe would've been worth more, and prolly sold...

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
the Flyer said:
well, figger i drove close ta 1200 miles for a "shorty" chassis... the long beds are not Nearly as desireable as the shorty... mine has the front discs on it too... not that this stuff couldn't be had from a bone yard... but IT'S getting ta be scarce too... for me, i'm done with aftermarket brakes (backing plates/spindles etc) i want GM factory stuff that's tried & true... my "aftermarket" rear discs on the Flyer, i wouldn't recommend to someone i don't like, let alone a friend... they seem ta punch 'em out and send ya a package of shims to space the backing plates properly... not as "quality" as i'd hope for 600 bucks...

depending on the total quality of the truck... i'd say maybe yes... BUT a bigger maybe no (from where i sit) 2 years ago or so i tried ta sell my 68 longstep for 1800.00 had ZERO interested... so i pulled the engine for the rust bucket...

the shorty on the other hand, i believe would've been worth more, and prolly sold...
Ok so thats a possibly....lol....depending...lol...:rolleyes: :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts