Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What everyone with a 1995 and up GM vehicle should know. if your using Dex Cool antifreeze, its eating away at your engines gaskets and cooling system components. it could also get inside your engine and mix with your oil from gaskets or alumiunm parts being eatin away from the dex cool. there has been a major lawsuit against GM Dex Cool from thousands of people. after not being to find out whats causing the misfire on my 95 S10 truck, another member on here told me to look at the intake gaskets. and it made sense because i was always adding antifreeze because it was very low everytime i checked it. and there are no leaks on the ground. it would explain my misfire because the intake gaskets maybe leaky...can i drain my dex cool and replace it with convential green antifreeze? or is my engine already contaminated with dex cool and cannot be mixed with the green antifreeze?

to see all the complaints, type in Dex cool recall online and click on consumer affairs complaints. one guy wrote this:
Add me to the list of Death-Cool victims. 1997 GMC Sonoma Like a Rock! equals Like a piece of junk. Started having problems at 100K or earlier. Went green coolant after things started failing, too late. Coolant sludge and rust in overflow and radiator, hard shifts 1-2 tranny over heating because of plugged radiator, coolant leak at intake gasket leaking down tops of valve covers, thermostat failures, smell of coolant from leakage raining down on exhaust components. Parts List: 1. New Water Pump 2. New Radiator 3. Upper and Lower Radiator Hoses 4. New heater core hoses only (lucky) 5. Intake manifold gasket 6. 3-4 Thermostats 7. Heater core flushed Warning! ALl vehicles with this coolant are effected no matter how you maintain the car. GO GREEN NOW, its probably already too late. Electrical current is present throughout all cars cooling systems and experience various levels of coolant electrolysis, which normally evaporates coolant very slowly changing PH slowly, allowing correction generally without damage if out of range. Electrolysis + Dexcool equals some type of chemical reaction which eats your cooling systems and gaskets alive immediately. Right off the lot your car was dieing inside. No matter what GM says, consult your local shop and go with green coolant immediately. It is my opinion that Dex-Cool coolant is a revenue stream enhancing product for GM. It destroys cars engines rapidly and without bias to usage and maintenance requiring the highest priced repairs. This product operates as designed, to guarantee high cost maintenance for every vehicle it is run in. Unfortunately, GM's plan backfired. Turns out people recognize this problem and dont buy GM anymore. They wonder why they are going under? I love their latest motto: "Total Confidence" - what a joke.

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
My 96 Z71 had 200k miles on it when I sold it, ran Dex cool the whole time with no issues. My 2000 Grand Am has Dex cool, 184k miles so far and no issues. The cooling system needs to be maintained and serviced just like any other part of the car and the lack of maintenance by the owner shouldn't be grounds for a lawsuit. With more aluminum being used in engines the maintenance becomes even more critical.

Electrolysis is a problem with any type antifreeze used. It is compounded when the grounds are not kept clean and tight especially in cars where the radiator is not rubber mounted.

IIRC Dex cool was introduced to be non toxic not to rip off the consumer. People can file suits without a good reason and lawyers will represent them to make a buck. If the laws are changed to make the the filer pay all costs involved by the person they sue when they lose a lot of this nonsense would stop. Just my opinion and like butt holes we all got one.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
My 2000 Suburban has the same belts, hoses, coolant, and front brakes that it came with from the factory 153,000 miles ago. I have added maybe a quart of coolant to it since new, maybe I'll take a look.

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
3,967 Posts
It destroyed my engine in my 1999 blazer. Bought it new and just out of warranty it started missing. First I had the manifold gaskets replaced, after about 5000 miles I was told it needed them again. The third time I had to replace the warped intake manifold. Once that did not fix it they actually tried to tell me it was trash in the fuel.:eek: I traded what should have been a $3500.00 Blazer for $1500.00 for an import. I'm sure there are examples of cars running fine with Dex-cool but the number of vehicles not running well are too large to ignore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
proper grounding

most major electrolysis in cars is caused by poor ground connections and major components like big stereo systems being tied into the factory wiring and not being given their own separate wiring. maintain your car's electrical system and it shouldn't be a problem

-JD

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The heater cores and radiators are the first to go with the dexcool problem, we've seen it a lot on this area. It isn't a lifetime product- at 100K GM recomends changing the coolant. I ran it in one chevy truck and won't ever use it again, the radiator on that one ended up with nasty corrosion. One way to clean the system is drain all the dexcool and flush with water then drain it down, poor in a 2 liter bottle of coke and top with water-run it that way for a month and flush it again. The small amount of phosphoric acid in the coke will clean off the barnicles. Then fill it back up with traditional coolant. My engine temps went back down to normal.

·
Registered
906 Posts
i have a 2002 gmc sonoma that had a dex cool problem.ate the heater core,the rad.,the intake gaskets,the roller lifters.i had the truck since it was brand new,and changed the dex cool every year, after three years the problem started.the shop that replaced the parts told me about this dex problem and changed that stuff with reg green anti freeze no problems since the change.the heater core was big money to replace 700.00 bucks it was ate up real bad.not to mention you have to take the complete dash out to get to it.i know alot of people haveing the same problems with the dexcool.
don

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It destroyed my engine in my 1999 blazer. Bought it new and just out of warranty it started missing. First I had the manifold gaskets replaced, after about 5000 miles I was told it needed them again. The third time I had to replace the warped intake manifold. Once that did not fix it they actually tried to tell me it was trash in the fuel.:eek: I traded what should have been a $3500.00 Blazer for $1500.00 for an import. I'm sure there are examples of cars running fine with Dex-cool but the number of vehicles not running well are too large to ignore.
hi, what do you mean by it started missing? as in an engine misfire while running? if so, was the misfire caused by the bad intake gaskets? and once you replaced the intake gaskets the misfire went away?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a 2002 gmc sonoma that had a dex cool problem.ate the heater core,the rad.,the intake gaskets,the roller lifters.i had the truck since it was brand new,and changed the dex cool after one year,the shop that replaced the parts told me about this dex problem and changed that stuff with reg green anti freeze no problems since the change.the heater core was big money to replace 700.00 bucks it was ate up real bad.not to mention you have to take the complete dash out to get to it.i know alot of people haveing the same problems with the dexcool.
don
hi Don,
why did you have to replace your roller lifters? did the dexcool get into your engine oil?

·
Registered
906 Posts
hi Don,
why did you have to replace your roller lifters? did the dexcool get into your engine oil?
yes when the intake gaskets started leaking dexcool inside the engine thats what did the lifters in,it was like a one thing after another.what i find interesting. other people with the same truck i have had the same problems,it starts with the intake gaskets,then the driverside rad.tank leaking,then the heater core leaking,keep in mind i do reg. fuild changes to this truck from the getgo,rad flushed once a year/oil changes every 3000 miles,all the right service stuff.the dexcool problem began two years after i bought the truck.never again will i run that stuff.since the reg. green antifreeze installed no problems so far:yes:
don

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Just how long should GM warranty a vehicle??????????????????????

This 1995!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 years OLD?????????????

Did anyone service the coolant like the owners manual says? Every 5 years or 75,000 miles????????????????????????

This Dex Cool issue has been dead for years now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARS AND TRUCKS DO NOT LAST FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes when the intake gaskets started leaking dexcool inside the engine thats what did the lifters in,it was like a one thing after another.what i find interesting. other people with the same truck i have had the same problems,it starts with the intake gaskets,then the driverside rad.tank leaking,then the heater core leaking,keep in mind i do reg. fuild changes to this truck from the getgo,rad flushed once a year/oil changes every 3000 miles,all the right service stuff.the dexcool problem began two years after i bought the truck.never again will i run that stuff.since the reg. green antifreeze installed no problems so far:yes:
don
Hi Don,
how did you know the lifters were bad to begin with? should i be worried about my lifters? how long ago or what year did you first start using the green antifreeze? and what brand did you use? just curious, did you ever hear a bubbly noise coming from the heater core? thanks so much for any help

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just how long should GM warranty a vehicle??????????????????????

This 1995!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 years OLD?????????????

Did anyone service the coolant like the owners manual says? Every 5 years or 75,000 miles????????????????????????

This Dex Cool issue has been dead for years now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CARS AND TRUCKS DO NOT LAST FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i changed the coolant every 5 yrs like the owners manual told me to. and the truck only has 60K on it. and i just found out about this dexcool issue... and i cant afford to buy a new vehicle every 2 years like some can...i just sold my 77 nova earlier this year that my parents bought brand new in 1977! and that was still running ok! and it was 32 years old! if you want reliablity today, get an import!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi Don,
how did you know the lifters were bad to begin with? should i be worried about my lifters? how long ago or what year did you first start using the green antifreeze? and what brand did you use? just curious, did you ever hear a bubbly noise coming from the heater core? thanks so much for any help
the lifters started clattering a little bit.if there not makeing any noise dont worry about it.2005 is when i changed to the green stuff.prestone green.that was 6 months after the rad. gave up the ghost.the bubbly sound in the heater core is more than likely the system is low of coolant.the shop that changed the intake gaskets found four lifters bad,so i had them change out all of them.the truck runs great now
don

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
keep in mind i do reg. fuild changes to this truck from the getgo,rad flushed once a year
Maybe that's why mine doesn't have a problem--the cap's never been off the radiator! All the bad stuff is probably long gone now. And with todays engines and oil, 3000 mile changes are a waste of money--I go by the monitor in the truck that is based on driving style, rpm, temperature, etc. Usually 5-6000 miles. My Astro van had recommended gear oil changes at about 3000 miles; that was the only car I EVER changed the rear end lube in, except the Nova after a gear change!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Maybe that's why mine doesn't have a problem--the cap's never been off the radiator! All the bad stuff is probably long gone now. And with todays engines and oil, 3000 mile changes are a waste of money--I go by the monitor in the truck that is based on driving style, rpm, temperature, etc. Usually 5-6000 miles. My Astro van had recommended gear oil changes at about 3000 miles; that was the only car I EVER changed the rear end lube in, except the Nova after a gear change!
well the truck now has 275000 miles on it now,doesnt burn a drop of oil.and when the shop took the intake off it they told me it looked brand new inside.
i use gtx,the tailpipes are still super clean even with the high mileage.so it seems to be working good with every 3000 oil changes.at 35.00 bucks plus a complete car wash its a good deal to me.plus i dont have to mess with getting dirty or getting rid of the used oil/filter
don

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Got a free 93' chevy astro with 225000 on the original 4.3 from the original owner with the original coolant and pump, green antifreeze is the only way.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
...I'm sure there are examples of cars running fine with Dex-cool but the number of vehicles not running well are too large to ignore.
The number of cars that haven't had any issues with DexCool will be FAR greater than those that have had issues. You rarely hear about the ones that run fine, but always hear about the ones with problems.

Anyone notice how the vehicles that have had problems in this thread are all S-10 based trucks from the late 90's/early 00's? Seems like there may be some other underlying design issue with these trucks.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
DeathCool

All I know is that I'll never run DeathCool again. :no:

The donor car for my LT1 was a '96 Caprice. Every 40,000 miles the heater core needed to be replaced because of that [email protected] plugging it up. When I pulled the engine, I had to flush it for 20 minutes to get all the sediment out from inside the block.

DeathCool is awful. :skull: :(

From here on out Prestone! Period!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts