Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
14,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Canadian built L79 will cross the block at Mecum in Portland, Oregon in June. GM Canada documented and in the Canadian L79 Registry. Unfortunate that some major restoration errors have been made. Missing the side trim, black firewall, sport coupes didn't have wheel opening chrome trim and no optional red lines in 1966. No trunk pics, but hopefully it's correct body color.

A total of 195 L79 Chevy IIs (all models) were built in Canada. The majority were super sports. No actual numbers, but L79 sports coupes and 2 door sedans were few in number.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/PJ0619-377285/1966-chevrolet-nova-l79/

Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,099 Posts
That's a good looking car, and love red/red. Yeah, weird about the trim if you had gone to all the other detail, and like nearly every L79 up for sale or bid there are nits to pick. It'll be interesting to see the final price and if it sells or not. As far as the process and presentation, things look installed well with a beautiful interior, and it's all ready for photos, unlike some.

Don't think it's a Canadian thing, but I'll reference the ring and boot around the shifter and absence of color coded plastic trim for the carpet on this 400 series.

·
14,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The info I have from the documentation on this car shows it had only 4 factory options...L79, M20, posi and whitewall tires. The radio and rear antenna must have been dealer installs or added in later years, which is not unusual. The auction ad says it has a GM Canada build sheet. I doubt that. I think they mean it has GM Canada documentation, which is taken from 'vehicles shipped' reports. With the GM Canada documentation, POP, sales invoice and owner history, there's no question this is the real thing. With the exception of the incorrectly painted firewall (and possibly the trunk) and missing side trim, it wouldn't take much to get this car back to 'as original'.

Bob

·
14,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Got to $85,000, but didn't meet reserve at Mecum in Portland, Oregon this weekend. I thought the seller would be happy with this price, because as mentioned earlier, there are a number of restoration flaws.

Bob

·
14,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought the bidding went to $85000 but they put a "the bid goes on" sticker on the windshield meaning it didn't meet the reserve.
Missed that, Shane. Yes, you're correct that it got to $85K and didn't sell. I've corrected my post above.

Given the restoration errors, I thought the seller would be OK with $85K, but obviously not. The 2 major areas needing attention to make it right would be the addition of correct side trim and painting the firewall (and possibly the trunk) body color. These won't be done within a Saturday afternoon. Red lines, wheel opening chrome trim and door mirror are smaller items requiring a change out. The exhaust is also not correct.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts