Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had what may be a crazy idea, but as I'm getting ready to put the emblems back on the car after paint, I got to thinking would it make sense to cut the stems off and glue the emblems on like modern cars do. Why would I want to do that? Just because they would be easier to put on. The stems look a little stripped and it's easier to use adhesive than to pull things apart to get the nuts on the back of the stems.

Does this idea make any sense? If so, what kind of adhesive should I use?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
i think with the tape you would be able to see it between the paint an badge, plus a dust collector at the tape edge. alot more work but i'd go the post with speed nut install. you could also put a bit of silicone on the post to seal the hole an hold the speed nut in place.

·
5,145 Posts
The emblems are heavier than modern ones, do not have a flat back for full adhesion of the tape, it can be difficult to cut the tape to fit the more open script type emblems and they will look different on the car due to the tape thickness.
It can be done but it is not as easy as the nuts.

·
Registered
928 Posts
It won't work, As Technova said the backs are not flat plus modern mldgs are plastic that comes with the 2 sided tape already on them. When the scripted ones need to come off they are replaced new. Use barrel clips, you will need to smooth the thread marks on the posts down, it's what we did back in the day when we repaired these cars.

·
5,145 Posts
It won't work, As Technova said the backs are not flat plus modern mldgs are plastic that comes with the 2 sided tape already on them. When the scripted ones need to come off they are replaced new. Use barrel clips, you will need to smooth the thread marks on the posts down, it's what we did back in the day when we repaired these cars.
And be very careful you don't chip the paint, line them up and a quick pop with the fist.
I used to use an exacto knife to clean the surfacer out of the hole before sealing. This would keep the hole form being smaller.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Guys

As a time served body man of over 40 years I have used double sided tape on all kinds of badges and emblems, With flat backs and sculptured backs. Truth is if you use good quality double sided tape I recommend 3M you wont have any trouble with them falling off. Myself I have welded up the holes and will be using double sided tape Purely because any hole in the body is just another place rust can form.

Cheers Ian:uk:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was a bit apprehensive using tape but it worked excellent. I would use only 3M.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Use 3M 2 sided tape and fill the back of the emblem voids with JB weld to for a flush mounting surface and to maximize the contact surface area of the emblems. It can be tricky to cut the tape around the openings of the letters, but a sharp box cutter will help ease the job along.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts