Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the lock form the glove box door? I do not have key.
Where have others purchased a full lock set for a 3rd gen Nova. doors, ignition, glove box, trunk Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Go to NNN. That's nationalnostalgicnova.com

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, went there. Tried the search, checked out all the tech. posts, etc. could not find anything. What am I doing wrong? Once I am on the website where would I find the info? Thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I was looking for an answer to how to remove the glove box door lock and not for the locks and keys. My mistake, I will hit there 69 Nova section and look for the lock set like you found for the 68, Thank you.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the glove box lock, with and without the key. Does it make a difference? Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
I replaced the door on mine I got from the auto salvage, and couldnt find the keys to it,I took out the lock on the door with a dremel tool and cutoff wheel, from the inside of the door,I dont believe you can get it out without the key,as it has to be in the lock position with the key out to release it, I got a new lockset, and with the key its easy to put back together.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Here is what google came up with [from Team Chevelle post]...since my memory is foggy.

There is a trick to it. I haven't done it for a while. Here's what I remember. On the inside above the curved piece that holds the latch there is a slot, if you take a small flat tool that fits into the slot you can depress some small spring loaded tabs. If you do this right the locking mechanism will come out. Once the LM is out, the black inner piece unscrews from the grey metal outer piece. The trick is lining up the tabs, I think you need the key to do this properly. Or you can just twist the mechanism carefully, (I say carefully because I broke about three of these at the junk yard before I got it right), until you see the little tabs.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
It looks like I was looking for an answer to how to remove the glove box door lock and not for the locks and keys. My mistake, I will hit there 69 Nova section and look for the lock set like you found for the 68, Thank you.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the glove box lock, with and without the key. Does it make a difference? Thanks
I should have stated that I didn't know how your glove box lock is retained. Mine is a '63 and there is a simple one screw retainer that holds the lock set into the g-box door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts