Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: :mad: I just finished painting around my windows and took my car to get the windows installed . Because i tried and it leaked , So I went to get my car and the guy at the shop said "You are going to need to put some kind of sealer on those rubbers or it will leak":mad: I think he could see the steam coming from my ears.

I said i tried it myself and it leaked that is why i brought it to you. He said "I never knew you wanted any sealer in the rubber":eek: Well why the hell would i? It got me so mad I said " If i wanted it to fill with water i would leave the window out! He said well i will put some sealer in but it will cost more . Then i glared at him and said i dont think so. He said it will be done tomorrow call me about noon. So i left mad as hell.

I mean why would you put a window in when you know its going to leak and its what you do for a living? Sorry for going on but i needed to rant for a moment

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Welcome to my world! Everything I have ever paid to have done by a repairman ends up that way. That is why I have became a plumber, painter, bodyman, welder you name it. If I have paid to have it done it was done wrong by someone else before I learned how.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I'm with you Novaguy. I do everything myself so that way if it is goofed up I still have money to buy stuff to do it again myself. RM

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
ya know, while i was doing open heart surgery on ya i noticed you had a blown out vein...

just thought ya might wanna have that looked at...

buncha idiots :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I try to do most of it , But i put it in myself and it leaked . So i took the windows out to paint and called a shop that a guy at work said was really good. I guess i will stick to doing the rest myself. Like you guys said,"If I do it myself and goof up I still have money to do it again"

Well i go back at about 3pm today to get . And its raining today:mad:
But on the good part i will see if the windows are sealed right:rolleyes: .

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Ya really gotta wonder where the heck is the pride gone.When I was a mechanic and a nice ride showed up we gave even more attention.I'm the sameway last ride I had painted they didn't sand under the rockers and the old red was pretty obvious through the yellow.:eek:Now my Nova needs painting and prices are $8000 and up for that kinda money I want it perfect and I want things painted the right way not what they think is right.Glad I'm not the only one that runs into this type of bs hope your windows get done right this time!:)

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If you can find someone with a BIG old time soldering iron that is electric like they use to solder gutters with you can solder that little hole yourself and it should hold. I soldered a pin hole in a 69 Ford Torino gas tank for my brother some years ago and it held up for the next 3 or 4 yrs he had it and it was his daily driver. I have also had success with the two part gas tank sealer. My motorhome had a 40 gallon plastic type tank and it got a crack on the top. It would leak whenever you filled it up. I dropped it to see what I could do and I had no idea how to fix it. Well I wanted to go racing so I tried that two part epoxy from my local parts store for gas tanks and it still didn't leak 5 yrs later when I sold it. They also make a leak repair you pour into the tank and swoosh around inside that works I am told. They use to use it in WWII on planes when they repaired the tanks if they got shot up. Morton Thiachol (probably mis spelled) in Utah use to make it. They make the solid rocket boosters for the space schuttle now too LOL. Eastwood sells that if memory serves me. RM

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
When I built my Harley chopper years ago, a builder told me to use that sealer on the new tank to prevent any rust etc. from forming later. As you said, you mix it up, pour it in the tank and swish it around for a few minutes. I never had any issues with it and have heard from others it works.

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
taz3 said:
Ya really gotta wonder where the heck is the pride gone.When I was a mechanic and a nice ride showed up we gave even more attention.
!:)

I would hope that with true pride in workmanship that the same attention to detail would be given to any car that was worked on.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it home and it does not leak:D . So I am happy now , he must have seen my frustration when i spoke to him . But on the good news a guy who works at the shop has a 65 SS chevelle . He brought me 3 more ss caps for my collection:D . So it made me happy. I have a total of 14 63 ss caps now and 7 65 ss caps and 5 64 ss caps . So it turned out ok and I am happy now

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
I have Welded Sumps in Tanks without Leaks so I would think you could Repair it with a Welder?
The Question would be when and where the Leak will Spring.Not saying this is correct but with a Rusty Tank probally best to Replace.
Joe

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe said:
I have Welded Sumps in Tanks without Leaks so I would think you could Repair it with a Welder?
The Question would be when and where the Leak will Spring.Not saying this is correct but with a Rusty Tank probally best to Replace.
Joe
I have seen my dad repair tanks. He used to be a radiator repairman , He would fill the tanks with water then braze or solder the tank with a torch

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Be careful welding any gas tank. They can blow up even when filled with water, it happened to a guy my buddy knew. Trapped air in a corner while welding it and the fumes blew up when exposed to ignition source. We use to have the tanks boiled out by a radiator shop before we did any welding on them. That's how I learned about soldering tanks with an electric iron with no flame. Gas floats on water so be careful what you do.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Disclaimer,I am not telling anyone to Weld on a Fuel(gas) Tank.I dont want anyone Hurt.

That being said,I dont Fill the tanks with Water.
Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts