Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got started removing the rusted out floor section in the drivers side today. In the left front corner, it appears that the body mount, inner rocker and lower firewall all meet and are spot welded together. It also looks like the lower firewall is sandwiched between the body mount and the inner rocker. How do I get the floorboard out, drill holes through the spot welds?
Also, I can't find anyone who makes a repop body mount. Does anyone have a source for one?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Worked this afternoon for four hours getting more of the old firewall and floorboard out, and fitting the new pieces. The lower left corner of the firewall was a particularly nasty SOB to get out. It was spot welded to everything around it. I ended up cutting out a small triangular section of the inner rocker to get it out. The new floor section is nearly cut to fit, and I have a little more of the rusty lower firewall to remove and ten fit the new section. The spot weld drill I got at NAPA was a great help where I could use it.
One I get everything fitted, the next challenge is welding them back in with my new Miller 211 MIG machine. I am going to pick up a piece of metal the same thickness as the panels and practice on it before I tackle welding in the panels.

Any tips from those who have does this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a lot of pondering, and finding more holes rusted through the floor on the passenger side, I decided to go ahead and replace the whole floor. The toe board area has some issues also, so it is going to be replaced. I also discovered a lot of some kind of really gooey black stuff inside both rear quarters hiding some poor attempts to repair rust, so the quarters are getting replaced also.
I ordered AMD parts for the firewall, floor, rear quarters and trunk floor drops from Nightshade back in early January. Some were on backorder and were finally delivered in late April.
The guy doing the metal work wanted the doors to make sure the fit properly when he mounted the new quarters, so I took them to him today. He had the new firewall in, and the old floor just about completely removed.
This guy is the best metal man I have ever seen. The firewall installation looked great. He also does a lot of repair and fabrication of parts for classic/antique aircraft. His work is outstanding.

So, here are a few pictures of the work in progress.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
982 Posts
where did you get your toe board section (bottom of the firewall to the front of the floorpan)?

looks good though, i was kinda scrolling through the pictures without reading at first and was shocked it went from a patch to the whole floor dissapearing.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
where did you get your toe board section (bottom of the firewall to the front of the floorpan)?

looks good though, i was kinda scrolling through the pictures without reading at first and was shocked it went from a patch to the whole floor dissapearing.
The firewall and toe board are all one piece, and are from AMD (Auto Metal Direct). The body mounts are part of that piece too, which made it easier to replace.

After I put the patch in the floor, I wasn't really satisfied with it, and when more holes and other issues were found, I just decided to have the whole floor replaced.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I can relate to the problem with the floors. The more I cleaned out my car when I got it home, the more I saw a need to replace the whole floor. Nice work on firewall and toe board, so much better now.

Great build, love your progress

1 - 6 of 6 Posts