Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys like the title says I'm getting it tomorrow. I have a choice between a 400 and a 350 long block.

Heres the things that i will put on the stock block when i get it that i pulled off my old 400 engine.

-Edelbrock performer intake
-Edelbrock 750 cfm Carb
-Hooker Headers
-And This cam.

If i put these on a stock 350 longblock would it make more power than the 400 or would they be about the same? I know the 400's are torque monsters.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok well theres 2 votes for the 400. My old one got water in the oil and that was bad. My cam lobes werent even lobes anymore and when i drained my oil it looked silver and had a forest tint to it. :eek::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Bigger is better especially when it comes to engines and power.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Ok well theres 2 votes for the 400. My old one got water in the oil and that was bad. My cam lobes werent even lobes anymore and when i drained my oil it looked silver and had a forest tint to it. :eek::rolleyes:
That didn't happen because it was a 400. Any motor can blow a head gasket and water in the oil can then ruin the cam lobes.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
what ya gonna do

with the old short block ???

that cam will make some noise ,, kinda small for a 400 , i'd get the 292 comp cam if you have any kind of converter at all with the 400 any way.

you could get the crank out of ur 400 and have it turned so it will go into a 350 block . Overall,, this combo is a nice balance between durability and extra cubes. Its why IMO 383's have gotton so popular. They just have less issues than the 400 block. Yes 400's are torque making , tire smoking engines , but the block can crack , and if its bad enough , the show is over. I've got my helmet on to take the attack from the 400 fans. If it was headed to the drag strip only ,, 400 no doubt. I had a 400 get hot one time , and thats all it took , it never ran the same again. Started smoking and using oil. Thats why i feel about 400's the way i do. If you started out with a bare block , did a low pour on it , i've heard that helps them a bunch but i've never tried it myself.

I might be going and picking up 2 400 blocks this weekend myself , but i plan on a drag car.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How can you tell that it will make some noise? What gives it away? And Crane made the same cam grind but they don't make them any more. (out of business) That is why i got the summit house brand. Oh and I will be turning the old block in as a core for my new one.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts

106 Lobe separation angle ,, u'll hear it in there definatly ,, but ,, the small duration at .050 won't do a 400 justice , if its going to have very much compression at all ,, i'd be willing to guess ,, that cam in a 400 would peak below 5000 rpm. If thats what your looking for , well then there it is. I hate to sound like a broken record about the 292 comp cam , but i sold a 400 block to a person that used one in it , it ran 7.40's in a heavy 86 ss monte with a 373 gear and a 3800 stall with the AC on at 2700 altitude ( .40 altitude correction factor )

How much is the new long block costing you , , how sure are you of what the new long block has in it , ?? If your old motor just cracked a head , that happens , sux when it does , but it might even happen again. If you have any capacity at all to do some work to your old short block , i think i would myself. Which head did you have that cracked ??? 441 ??

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn..lol its to late now. Summit already sent the cam to me. I had the same one before, only it was made by crane and i liked it. I could defiantly feel it pull around 2000 rpms all the way up too 5000. It's just a cruiser around town and some hard take offs at lights nothing crazy. It will be all stock except for what i mentioned earlier. So it will also have the stock converter. Mabey further down the road i will put something bigger. :yes:

Are you talking about this one? Will this work with my stock springs and valve train. I would obviously need a bigger stall converter but is that it?

Dang now i want to send back the summit one lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is that why chevy put steam ports in the heads from factory on 400's?
I know the 400 steam port heads are prone to cracking and causing head gasket failure. But head gasket tech has gotten much better with o ring copper and M.L.S. gaskets? I like cubes but reliablity take presidence when you drive them for several hundeds of miles a day in august heat. But that depends on each lifestyle.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
stock converter

if you only have the stock converter , then thats all the cam you need. Anything bigger might slow it down, but sound more radical. The second link you posted didn't work.

How much are you paying for this long block , any warranty associated , and are you in a hurry to get the car back going ???

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to get the car up and running before i head off to college in august. I just want one more time with it lol. While I'm in college I'll be saving up money.

My dads paying for a new long block. I believe it comes with 3 year warranty.

Heres the second link i posted. I'm guessing your saying this is to big with out a bigger stall and diff springs. correct?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
if your not in a hurry

this is what i'd do

you could sell the block , they go between 300-400 bux around here. If that much metal went into the oil , the crank prolly needs turned so then i'd have it fixed to go into a 350 block by a recommended shop. 350 blocks are getting kinda scarce , but you can get a new one for about 600 bux i'm pretty sure. You could use the 400 rods out of ur old motor and buy some 350speed pro hyper -eutectic pistons for about 150 bux and it would work ( if money is tight , if it isn't , get some 5.7 rods and 383 pistons ) Make sure and use ur old flexplate and harmonic balancer and have it balanced.

Eh ,, if your in a hurry and need the complete long block then thats just the way it is , but if your not , you could make a street bruiser with the stuff you have and a decent set of heads , make even some vortecs with an updated intake manifold to fit ,,, but its easy to sit here and spend ur money ,, really depends on how soon u need it running and how much are you willing to spend ??

yes thats the cam that my buddy used in his 406 that did so good ,, he had the carb u have and a similar weiand 8004 intake , HEI distributor with a MSD6A box and MSD coil

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestion levisnteeshirt. Although that does sound very tempting i think i will just stick to the longblock. Once I'm out of college in 4 years and have a good paying job I'll go bzerk on it. :yes::devil:

-Blake

1 - 19 of 19 Posts