Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trans is giving me a problem. When it is cold the first few shift are fine. After it warms up a little it gets harder and harder to put into 1st gear. Seems a little harder to put in reverse as well Kind of grinding a lot. Is there an adjustment on the clutch it almost seems as if it is not fully stopping the flywheel or clutch? I know nothing about manual trannys, it is an m21. Thank you,

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda what I figured:rolleyes: Oh well the rear main seal is leaking so I can kill two birds with 5 busted knuckles.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
My pet peave with the movie "Jeepers Creepers" is the old 4-door Chevy with the clutch going out. Throughout the movie the clutch continually gets worse, and they have increasing trouble getting the car in gear. Once they do finally get it in gear, off it goes with tires screaming, just in time before the creature in his old Dodge powerwagon catches them. While it does make a very dramatic scene in the movies, the truth is a worn clutch will slip, to the point that eventually the car won't move, but it won't make it hard to get the trans into gear. Not getting the clutch to disconnect fully will.
There should be an adjuster in the clutch linkage that will increase the throw on the pivot arm. How far do you press the clutch pedal before you feel the pressure of the clutch? I'll bet it is more than half way to the floor. How quickly after the pedal leaves the floor does the clutch start to catch? If it is almost immediate, then try to adjust the clutch linkage so the pedal come off the floor a couple inches before the clutch starts to grab.

Adjusting is free, a new clutch is $$$$ and may not solve the problem if the clutch linkage is out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My pet peave with the movie "Jeepers Creepers" is the old 4-door Chevy with the clutch going out. Throughout the movie the clutch continually gets worse, and they have increasing trouble getting the car in gear. Once they do finally get it in gear, off it goes with tires screaming, just in time before the creature in his old Dodge powerwagon catches them. While it does make a very dramatic scene in the movies, the truth is a worn clutch will slip, to the point that eventually the car won't move, but it won't make it hard to get the trans into gear. Not getting the clutch to disconnect fully will.
There should be an adjuster in the clutch linkage that will increase the throw on the pivot arm. How far do you press the clutch pedal before you feel the pressure of the clutch? I'll bet it is more than half way to the floor. How quickly after the pedal leaves the floor does the clutch start to catch? If it is almost immediate, then try to adjust the clutch linkage so the pedal come off the floor a couple inches before the clutch starts to grab.

Adjusting is free, a new clutch is $$$$ and may not solve the problem if the clutch linkage is out of adjustment.
Jeepers creepers was a great movie!

Yeah that makes sense I had an old truck with a bad clutch and it started slipping really bad.

Where is the adjuster inside the car at the pedal or down near the transmission? thanks,

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
It should be under the car. There will be the z-bar between the engine and framerail, and th adjustable link should be between the z-bar, and the clutch fork. There will be a spring that keeps tension between the fork and the z-bar so the adjustable rod doesn't fall out.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Take up the slack with the adjustment on the clutch fork rod and drive it for a few days.If this solves the problem your clutch just needed normal adjustment to account for wear,if it slowly gets worse again you probably have a failing Z-bar and I would take a good look at that before tearing into a clutch replacement.Once they crack and start flexing it won't take long for it to fail completely.Until it fails all together it is very hard to see the hairline cracks with a visual inspection in the car.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Take up the slack with the adjustment on the clutch fork rod and drive it for a few days.If this solves the problem your clutch just needed normal adjustment to account for wear,if it slowly gets worse again you probably have a failing Z-bar and I would take a good look at that before tearing into a clutch replacement.Once they crack and start flexing it won't take long for it to fail completely.Until it fails all together it is very hard to see the hairline cracks with a visual inspection in the car.
Good advise...I haven't owned a Nova that didn't need a new z-bar.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man this is an old thread! I was abme to tighten the linkage and that took care of the problem.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts