Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No real reason for this thread, I'm just excited that my engine is nearly finished and wanted to post a couple pics.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Philip said:
Way cool. Nice heads, but I don't understand the 1 & 2, L & R yes. Was it inventory markings or did you want to make sure you had them both :)
:) "One...and two, yep they're both here!"

I'm not sure why the "1" & "2" markings either, the builder did that.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
engine

Looks great,the boys in Houston better look out!
Mike

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
novamike said:
Looks great,the boys in Houston better look out!
Mike
Thanks! Today is dyno day, so hopefully I'll have some good results by this afternoon.

Jay (keeping fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just left my builder's dyno... first real power pull did 445HP and 475TQ (corrected), but the motor dropped off hard and began to miss at 5,000rpm due to an ignition issue. He swapped in his own distributor and ignition system and the motor pulled fine, so he's going to try my new coil after lunch to see if it solves the problem. I'm using an MSD e-curve with his old Blaster coil, but my new coil is the pyramid-shaped Blaster SS. It was still continuing to make more HP up to 5000rpm so hopefully it will surpass 450HP with this ignition problem solved.

Edit - with the builder's ignition system it made 456 hp and 475 lbft. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
68chevyll said:
Alright man!
Looks like I may not have the motor by the weekend after all. The motor is still on the dyno due to a couple small problems. They pulled the pan to fix a small oil leak near the front of the pan, but the bigger problem is still my ignition. My brand new MSD E-curve dist. and Blaster SS coil just won't play nice yet with the motor. The builder called MSD and they couldn't figure it out, but we're now wondering if it may be a grounding issue. At around 4,800 and/or as high as 5,000rpm it sounds like a rev limiter kicking in, but the rev limiter is set at 7,000rpm. We're going to try a better ground today and see if that helps. If anyone else has a suggestion please let me know.

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
The red coils that vendor X makes are JUNK. I've personally seen a bunch of them fail. Get yourself the chrome one from the same vendor or one of these (all are made by the same company, regardless of the label they are sold under):

Black coils:

NAPA IC12, CarQuest 26189

Chrome coils:

MSD 8200 Blaster II, Summit G5215

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The red canister coil in the photo belongs to the engine builder, but we had the same problem with my new coil which looks like this:

I'm really hoping it's ground issue.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
my understanding is that if that coil (the one you pictured) is epoxy filled and NOT oil filled you will have problems...you want oil filled coils NOT epoxy filled coils as the ones filled with epoxy can overheat easier which will cause other issues to happen..:)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
69NovaSS said:
my understanding is that if that coil (the one you pictured) is epoxy filled and NOT oil filled you will have problems...you want oil filled coils NOT epoxy filled coils as the ones filled with epoxy can overheat easier which will cause other issues to happen..:)
Yup, the ones I listed are oil filled.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn, that sucks. I can see how the epoxy filled vs. oil filled could be a factor over a longer period of time, but the red canister coil my engine builder has and my brand new Blaster SS coil both had the same result right at start up on the dyno. The coil couldn't have even been hot yet when this happened. I went with the Blaster SS because I called MSD when I bought the distributor and that's what they recommended.:mad:

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
JTW said:
Damn, that sucks. I can see how the epoxy filled vs. oil filled could be a factor over a longer period of time, but the red canister coil my engine builder has and my brand new Blaster SS coil both had the same result right at start up on the dyno. The coil couldn't have even been hot yet when this happened. I went with the Blaster SS because I called MSD when I bought the distributor and that's what they recommended.:mad:
possibly send a PM to ignitionman, he is a member here, and I'm sure he will be able to set ya straight...or look up some of his pasts posts on this subject...he is very clear that the epoxy filled coils are an item you would be best to stay clear of ....just a thought:)

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
69NovaSS said:
possibly send a PM to ignitionman, he is a member here, and I'm sure he will be able to set ya straight...or look up some of his pasts posts on this subject...he is very clear that the epoxy filled coils are an item you would be best to stay clear of ....just a thought:)
That's where I got my part #s from that I posted.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
coil

JTW,
I was planning on using the same ignition system on my new motor as you did,so I've been following this thread to see what was the culpirt as far as the ignition/coil issues.
Keep us informed.
Mike

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
novamike said:
JTW,
I was planning on using the same ignition system on my new motor as you did,so I've been following this thread to see what was the culpirt as far as the ignition/coil issues.
Keep us informed.
Mike
Will do. I've read nothing but good reviews on the E-Curve distributor so I'm optimistic we'll get it figured out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts