Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weel, being a nice day, it was perfect to get out into the garage and work on the big block. Here's what's done:
Short block, with roller cam installed and degreed, crank scraper fit, Melling oil pump and Milodon windage tray.

The heads are assembled, bowl ported, gasket matched and blended. The springs are K-motion K-900's with K-motion retainers, Comp Cams locks, and viton seals with stainless valves. they are 049 oval ports:

This is where the heads needed to be slightly clearanced for the piston domes:

The Victor Jr. is port matched as well:

The ca is a Voodoo solid roller. This cam is very nice. It specs to install at 106 degrees, and installed straight up with a double roller timing chain, it degreed in at 105 with no adjustments or offset bushings:

And the new oil pan to help control windage issue I had:

Hopefully I'll have it all together by the time I go back to work on Tuesday. Can't wait. I might just have to fire this up on the cradle!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
How many cubes is it?

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It's 440cid. A 1969 427 + .070". BTW, the pistons are KB forged with 35cc domes for 10.5 compression and 1/16 file fit rings.

As for numbers, I'm hoping for right around 600. With a little luck it'll hit 625, but I do have that NOS dual shot Cheater if it dosen't get there. My machine shop just built a 468 with the same heads/intake and same work to them, but with a hydraulic roller that made 582hp at right around 6000rpm, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The solid roller is bigger than the HYD. roller they used in the 468, so I gigure it should be worth the missing 18hp or so. Also, they used a 750 card and I'm running a 850HP carb.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Getting closer. Just need to order my pushrods now:D. A couple of things i found out. First my pushrods. I'm using Comp Cams solid roller lifters
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-819-16&autoview=sku
My block has been decked to 9.783 giving me a .0005 deck height, and my heads have been cut .018. With this set up on the Lunati cam, stock length pushrods turned out to be perfect. The witness mark on the valve stem is dead center. Cool, no custom pushrods needed.

Now, I had a Proform chrome stamped timing chain cover, and an Edelbrock cast aluminum cover. I tried 4 different cam buttons and I couldn't get one that was even close. I know I could have probably ground one down, but didn't really want to. Also, really didn't want to have to get the cover machined. The solution, I found a Cloys cover with an adjustable button that works great:

The Moroso oil pan fit great as well, so I installed the head studs:

And here we are, just need my pushrods so I can button her up and fire it off!!!!!

DeskTop Dyno shows 604hp and 592tq. I think that's a little optimistic on teh torque, but I'M optimistic about the HP level. Hopefully I can better their number, if just by a couple. I'd be thrilled at 610.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
That is great news! I have been following yours, and you are going to make more power than I did. I came in at 500 hp, 511 torque on 93 octane. Not to bad for a street motor. I am runningn the Stealth, and a 750 DP. Along with a hydraulic flat tappet cam. I am hoping we can meet each other and compare notes, but I am very glad for you. I am yanking the small block Saturday and getting the heater core and frame mounts done. Then to tie the subframe, and the 461 is ready to drop.

It is looking great, keep up the good work. It ought to make that Nova FLY!!

Tiny

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't we meet at Columbus last year? If nothing else maybe this year. My biggest problem is being a truck driver, it dosen't leave me alot of time to do much.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, she's ready to fire!!!!First thing was to install the rev kit.

I bought a set of sheet metal vice grips that work perfect as a spring compressor to install the springs:

Then the Comp Cams rockers and stud girdles:

Finally the rest of the engine:

Hopefully the next post will be a video of it running, then on the dyno. Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
looking good!
Very good!

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts