Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide tips on tuning/troubleshooting my 68 Nova suspension to get better weight transfer when launching? When I launch the rear tires spin, rear of the car slides left (not too much) and it seems that very little weight is coming off the front. My Nova rides a little stiff and it seems that there is not much travel in the rear suspension.

I have a 496 tied to a turbo 400 tranny and a 3500 stall converter. I have sway bars in the front and rear, QA1 coilover shocks in the front and QA1 adjustable shocks in the rear (all shocks are on the softest settings). In the rear I also have a 12 bolt posi (3.42 ratio), competition engineering slide-a-links, mulit-leaf springs and my tires are the MT ET street drag tires 275/60R15s.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Can anyone provide tips on tuning/troubleshooting my 68 Nova suspension to get better weight transfer when launching? When I launch the rear tires spin, rear of the car slides left (not too much) and it seems that very little weight is coming off the front. My Nova rides a little stiff and it seems that there is not much travel in the rear suspension.

I have a 496 tied to a turbo 400 tranny and a 3500 stall converter. I have sway bars in the front and rear, QA1 coilover shocks in the front and QA1 adjustable shocks in the rear (all shocks are on the softest settings). In the rear I also have a 12 bolt posi (3.42 ratio), competition engineering slide-a-links, mulit-leaf springs and my tires are the MT ET street drag tires 275/60R15s.

Any help would be appreciated.
Easy 1st move is to remove front sway bar.
Next, determine if the front spring rate is correct for drag racing by comparing
the free length to the loaded height.

·
Premium Member
3,361 Posts
Do you have the slide a links preloaded? I disagree that the front sway bar is causing your issues, but it is easy to try anyhow. Do you have a trans brake? What RPM are you launching the car at?

·
Registered
92 Posts
better launches

Unhooking the sway bar will help the front end raise quicker and help.
Sounds like the rears to stiff also. Might want to take a leaf out of the rear stack.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts