Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on my 67 alot, last year replaced the battery with an optima red top, replaced the Altenator with a 100amp Powermaster and a few small upgrades. This winter I had a chromemoly cage and frame connectors installed then this spring I upgraded the stock front clip with a Heidts superride II set up. The car was running fine. Now, because of how clean and uncluttered under the hood is, the battery was moved to the trunk. I have not wired an on/off switch yet because I'v now gone through all my budgeted Nova money. I brought the car to have the alignment done and when I tried to start it up it bearly would crank. They put a jump pack on it and it fired and I drove it home. Got to the driveway and the car stalled. it started up but stalled right out....repeated that three times then it would not turn over and had to be pushed into the garage. I dont think the battery is charging or the alt is not working right. Could I have a ground issue? I put my trickle charger on and will check the volts at the battery when I get home. If it starts, I'll check the output volts from the back of the alt. I have a pretty large braided ground strap from the firewall to the block. Should i have another ground strap somewhere else? I did not have a problem during the cruise season last year. Any ideas before I just shut and lock the garage and leave it there to rot...LOL

·
Registered
407 Posts
so you have a ground strap from the block to the engine block.

what about the battery?

where did you ground it to?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a ground strap from the firewall to the block. I did not do the front clip install so the chassis shop (who I trust 100%, been friends since we were 12) who did the install moved the battery and wired it up as well. Nice and neat, two cables running under the car to the trunk, both to the battery, On red one black. I do not know off hand where the black cable from the battery ends up up front. I'll look when I get home from work.....

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I have my car grounded in 4 places. Battery to frame at rear..twice (rear mount battery) and then grounded from the engine to the frame rails on my clip at the front, one on each side.

Cable needs to be at least 1/0 for efficient grounding and battery supply voltage. Use good lugs, compression crimped at the ends, and don't forget to remove any paint or powder coating under the lugs and bolts at the attachment points.

T,

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...Got home from work and the battery was all charged up. The car started right up, revved up good..As for the the battery cables, the black cable runs from the battery to the passenger side motor mount (solid) With the car running, I recorded 14.5 volts at the battery, and 14.5 volts from the rear of the Altenator. I did add another ground strap from the neg. terminal to the frame. If it stops raining tomorrow, I'll take it out for a ride...

Thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts