Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why my nova would get warm on the freeway and not in the city? I can go all day in 100 degree weather in the city but when I get on the freeway temp starts rising, I dont understand, any ideas appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I know I had this problem on my 66 Impala and found out it was the lower radiator hose collapsing when I was on the Highway. In traffic and cruising locally it never got hot. But as soon as the RPM's where up there the temp would climb. Replaced the lower hose with the spring inside to prevent hose from collapsing and the problem never occurred again. Not sure if this is your paticular case but worth looking into.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I've got the same problem when the temp. gets in the middle 90s.I had a friend bend me up a little spoiler to push the air under the bumper into the radiator.Then he made plates that seal off between the grill and core support.Between these two I hope to pack more air thru the radiator.it's still mild weather here so it will be late June before I can put them to the test.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No an electic that is on the inside that pulls air through, I have tried turning off the fan on highway speed and that doesnt work either.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
It can be a sign of a bad head gasket. Exhaust gases get into the water. I've seen it a couple of times. They can put a tester on the radiator to check for it. Symptoms are what you describe...runs cool in town and cruising but out on the highway it gets hot.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
My best guess would be your increased RPM at highway speeds or an airflow restriction.

At what RPM does the temperature start getting on the hot side?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to replace both radiator hoses and go from there, I think the collapsing bottom hose is probably the problem, we will see, thanks for the help and I will let you know

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I figured it out

YOU'RE IN VEGAS ! ! :D

My 64 tried getting hot while we were there as well. I tried about EVERYTHING. New 4 core radiator, Taurus fan, lower hose, etc.
It seemed to get under control when I installed the fan shroud with clutch fan

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
MY THERMOSTAT STUCK CLOSED ON ME AND WHEN I HIT THE HIGHWAY IT GOT HOTTER AND OVERHEATED, BUT I'D BET IT'S THE HOSE:yes:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
You should be able to check the lower hose in the driveway. Warm it up to operating temp, leave the fan off and let go where it does on the highway. Rev it and see if the lower hose sucks in.

This could 100 different things, timing, fuel, airflow, head gaskets... etc.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
Even though you turned the fan off, that doesn't mean it doesn't still turn at high speeds. Might still be restricting the air flow off or on

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice guys, I went to Utah for a car show this weekend and changed the bottom radiator hose before I left and that was the problem the car ran 190 to 195 in 90 degree weather on the freeway and didnt get any hotter even on the hills.

Thanks to all for the help

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
I've got the same problem when the temp. gets in the middle 90s.I had a friend bend me up a little spoiler to push the air under the bumper into the radiator.Then he made plates that seal off between the grill and core support.Between these two I hope to pack more air thru the radiator.it's still mild weather here so it will be late June before I can put them to the test.[/QUOTE I finially got my Nova out in some warm weather on the way to see the Powertour.The modifications that I did dropped my temp. by 15 deg. at 70-75 mph over what it ran before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts