Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the best way to "unchrome" my bumpers? The guy that has done my blasting in the past quoted me pretty high. He says it can be a real pain in the *$$ to get all the chrome off. They are going to be powder coated (SHH. To each his own) and I have been told by numerous people to get all the chrome off because if you dont it tends to lead to immediate death.:eek:HELLLLLLLP!

·
Premium Member
1,270 Posts
Take it to a plater and ask them to dechrome it. Basically reverse the leads and the chrome comes off. They do this before preparing to re chrome it.

Greg

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I took one of my bumbers to a Plating shop. Asked them to DECHROME it. They charged me $50.00. All they did was take a GRINDER to it. Made the metal thinner and ground through in a couple of places. Boy did I give the owner and ear full. They told me that was the only way to remove chrome. Just be careful. Ask allot of questions.

Bryan

·
Registered
566 Posts
Take a 4" grinder with a gator disc. They are great for careful, controlled grinding. You should be easily able to remove the chrome, and just the chrome.

·
5,132 Posts
Anyone know the best way to "unchrome" my bumpers? The guy that has done my blasting in the past quoted me pretty high. He says it can be a real pain in the *$$ to get all the chrome off. They are going to be powder coated (SHH. To each his own) and I have been told by numerous people to get all the chrome off because if you dont it tends to lead to immediate death.:eek:HELLLLLLLP!
I have blasted many without completely removing all the chrome.
Get a good blast profile, use etch primer, surfacer, sand, paint.
I blasted the chrome front bumper on my 09 Silverado with this method, I'm still alive.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Seems like with grinding you would have to use a lot of filler. Cause a grinding wheel is stiff and has a tendency to leave flat spots. On a bumper that is ALL curves there are gonna be some flat spots. Thinking a blasting is the way to go. Just curious, take it to a bumper shop, dont they reverse electroplate the bumper to remove the chrome. I had some wheels fixed and I didnt see the process but they stripped them, welded them and re-chromed, was cheap too. That was in the 90s, epa and all might make the costs more. JR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts