Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have air shocks, but even when maxed out they don't give the lift I like.

I want the rear end sitting quite a bit higher than the front, and was curious to see what's the best method for getting it there?

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
In the old days, we would remove the spring perches, weld them to the top of the housing and mount the axle below the springs.

You also could have a new set of springs made with the amount of lift you wanted. Just tell the spring maker how much more lift you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont know alot about suspension, but on my nova, on the shackles there are three different mounting holes about an inch away from eachother, so if I wanted to I can raise it 2 inches. So is extended shackles an option?

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Get in a time machine, go back to the 70's, and stay there.
I just want to say thank you! I laugh out loud atleast once a day from one or more of your posts!!!:D I spit water all over my screen when I read this one, now I have a mess to clean up!:devil:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know alot about suspension, but on my nova, on the shackles there are three different mounting holes about an inch away from eachother, so if I wanted to I can raise it 2 inches. So is extended shackles an option?
I think that's the direction I plan to take.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
Ditto, mine has the same thing. I can raise or lower it by just choosing different holes.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Short of the time machine, have you seriously thought about lowering the front instead? :devil: Of course I would tell you to start with lowering the back first, then lower the front even more, it can be a viscious cycle......:)

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Your lift shackles will rais it a couple of inches, but they can only go so high without sacrificing strength and stability. If you want it really high, call Eaton spring or similar vendor and give them your requirements.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your lift shackles will rais it a couple of inches, but they can only go so high without sacrificing strength and stability. If you want it really high, call Eaton spring or similar vendor and give them your requirements.
Is mounting on the highest setting really sacrificing strength and stabillity that much? I can see why it might effect stability but I dont know how it would compromise strength

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is mounting on the highest setting really sacrificing strength and stabillity that much? I can see why it might effect stability but I dont know how it would compromise strength
The highest seeting seems to be exactly what I want.

Provided enough lift to keep from rubbing the tires.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I guess their really is one in every crowd. :rolleyes:
LOL LOL LOL

Above suggestions are correct. Start with the shackle extenders. But, pay close attention to the arch of the springs once you do this. It tends to mess up the geometry causing them to flatten out.
Ideally, like mentioned above, have eaton make a set of springs for you. I recently had them make rears and fronts with a lift, turnaround and price were both very reasonable (not much more that stock replacements).
You can reach them at: 313-963-3839 This number will put you straight through to the fella that takes your specs etc. He'll want to know a fair amount of info about your car regarding it's weight so that he sends you the correct springs.
Good luck, post pics !
ND

1 - 14 of 14 Posts