·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GenuineSS - 1975 Nova Custom, Super Sport​

Year: 1975

Model: Custom, Super Sport

Engine: 350 cid

Body/Exterior: Persimmon Metallic (Medium Orange)

Front End: stock

Transmission: TH350

Rear End: 2.73 Posi-Traction

Exhaust: Hedman Headers, Custom 2.5 Dual Exhaust to Flowmaster Original 40 series mufflers

Wheels/Tires: Cragar SS wheels, Kelly Charger 255/60/R15 (rear) and 215/70/R15 (front)

Interior: Original Vinyl Black Buckets with Shift Console

Electrical: MSD HEI Coil

Accessories/Options: Z26 (SS), Factory Console Gauges, Headlight Buzzer, Underhood Lamp, Posi Rear, Heavy Duty Suspension etc.

Sound system: Kenwood

Additional Comments:

My first car was a 1976 Nova SS Hatchback and I trashed it on my 17th birthday! Spent 23 years looking for another. In 2009, I found this orginal owner, 64,000 mile 75 Nova SS in rural Pennsylvania, build sheet, warranty papers and everything. It took some convincing, but the really nice Grandma and Grandpa owners finally parted with her after 34 years.

I pulled the seat covers off to reveal the like-new vinyl buckets, and hand removed the custom 50's style painted-on pinstriping that plagued the entire car! A set of Cragars, Flowmaster exhaust, and a quick repaint of the lower stripe back to the original code 11 Cameo white and here we are!

Engine runs strong and quick, even with stock 2 barrel. Plan to add a four barrel and dress up the engine bay next spring.
Thanks for checking out my car!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Welcome to Steve's. You were really lucky to find that one. Some 4th genners here (hint!:D) may be interested in stripe measurements and various details about your car. What an awesome survivor 4th gen SS!

:cool:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Very nice car, love the survivors!

Scott

·
Registered
96 Posts
Beautiful car! I just bought a 79 survivor last week and am planning its' future. Thinking of Cragars for mine too. Is wheel width 7" and backspacing 4 1/2"?

Thanks and congratulations on having such a special Nova.

Mike

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
beautiful survivor! those seats look perfect. I would cover em back up. :) I think ur car looks perfect also. some try to do too much to their 4th gens and it doesnt look right. you would love if that rear end was loosend up a little like 3.55 or so :yes:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, keep it bone stock or ???

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. Not everyone appreciates a 4th Gen Nova!

The exterior (minus the tires/wheels) and interior will remain factory stock.

Now the age old battle of two schools of thought:

Keep the engine bone stock, including the two barrel? or..

Modify and dress the engine a bit? If I modify, how far do I go? I'm OK with a manifold and 4 barrel carb, but do I yank the cam as well? I also really like the idea of that 3.55rear! But then we're talking traction bars, right?

Bottom line, will I ruin the uniqueness of the car by doing small mods, or will I actually improve on its value and "showability" by making such improvements?

Looking forward to everyone's opinions!

Thanks,

Dean

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback. Not everyone appreciates a 4th Gen Nova!

Modify and dress the engine a bit? If I modify, how far do I go? I'm OK with a manifold and 4 barrel carb, but do I yank the cam as well? I also really like the idea of that 3.55rear! But then we're talking traction bars, right?

Bottom line, will I ruin the uniqueness of the car by doing small mods, or will I actually improve on its value and "showability" by making such improvements?

Thanks,

Dean
Wow, getting excited about YOUR car, lol....I love Novas, expecially 4th gens...But anyways, to be honest, im not that knowlegable about car shows, judges or even resale values. But....In my opinion, 4th Gens are not valuable on the market yet anyways...And I stress yet because every magazine last month headlined that hotrodding might come to an end through politics and environment laws. So who knows what a 4th gen nova might be worth....but I doubt much with all the other valuable cars out there. If anything, they might be less valuable because restores wont be able to drive them as much. And if laws change the driving availability of classics, then a restorore would probably go through the trouble with something more valuable.

But if it were me, I would do the mods and keep my car classic looking at the sametime. Vortec heads can be painted orange and look original to the naked eye but a car show judge will know the difference, but if thats who your out to impress, then keep everything stock. There is so much you could do with your SS, Its not even funny...I wish mine was a Rally or SS! :bored: Im actually planning on cloning mine as a RS.

Look...if you are worried about the originality of the car, then make sure everything you take out, you label, bag and keep in safe keepings. When you remove the cam, label each lifter and its location. I would take each lifter out, spray it with carb cleaner/compressed air and label its location with masking tape. (they might still drain oil, not sure, so keep that in mind when labeling them. if you use a sharpie to label it, and the oil drains over the ink, and removes your mark) Egg cartons and parts bins can help orginazition. If you swap heads, keep them bagged, labeled and assembled. Even the rear end. Record and label all shim locations and keep them in safe keepings. The car could be documented and returned back to original, by the buyer or yourself if you wanted to preserve its originality. But again, is it worth the hassle? Thats up to you to decide. If it were me....HECK YEA ITS WORTH IT! Just even for the experience and peace of mind that your preserved a classic!! Maybe im the only one in the world who wishes he had a SS or RS....I doubt it.

But thats just my 2 cents. We are probably different people. Some might think a preservation job like that would be too much of a headache or might not even have the mechanical ability to perform the work. Thats up to you. Best advice I can give you is take your time and think it through and do some research. The less regrets, the better. I have many:yes:

By the way, let me know when you want to get rid of those cragars!! PM me if you want to sell them

Gary

·
Registered
793 Posts
Nice nova I still miss mine, it wasn't a SS but I blacked out the grille with flat black and the headlight bezels, added buckets and took out bench seat
added apliance wheels similar to yours, 4:10 gears solid tappet cam ported double hump heads team G intake and 650 holley double pumper manual secondaries was automatic 350 with manual valve body 3000 stall but at different times I converted to a four speed in 8.5:1 stock 350 ran 13.0 all day long until i decided to spray it with a 250 shot to try and get low 12 and killed it it ws good times

·
Registered
108 Posts
Really sharp looking SS. Well taken care of. Thanks for the pics. As nice as that is do what you want to it. Its yours! Just whatever you do keep everything that you take off. We always go through seasons in life and you may want to get it back the way it was. Nice ride!!!
Jim

·
Registered
396 Posts

Thanks,

Dean
Hey Dean. First off, very nice find! As a 4th gen (1979) Nova owner, I know the value of the 4th gens. No, they're no where near as valuable as the previous generations, but to find one that's still an all original SS makes it more valuable if you keep it stock. My 79 was nowhere near it's original setup. Plain 4th gen models like the 79 I have is worth more when modified. My personal suggestion is this: Find a 4th gen Nova fanatic who's a "purist" and make some decent money off of the car. Then buy another numbers not matching 4th gen to build and customize how you want. If your's is as clean underneath as it looks inside and out with numbers matching, being a true SS, and documentation you should be able to get $18-20K. Regardless of what you do with it, thanks for sharing your find with us.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow:yes:, what a nice american Nova!!. Congratulations for having it Genuine, and keep it as nice looking and strong as it seems. I´m from Argentina and GM did not make this Nova model there in the 70´s but did the third generation american Chevrolet Nova.

Regards, Carlos SS.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Congrats on your acquistion. Just keep the orginal parts when you do the modifications. All that really matters is how much you love the car. Really love the interior. I prefer the SS stripes over the Nova Rally stripes.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
^^^X2^^^ Keep all the stock stuff after you modify it in any!:devil::devil::devil:

That car is saaaaweeeeet!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
700 Posts
wow that is nice i had a 76 ss i bought off of ebay 8yers ago for parts
it looked to good to take apart untill i closed the trunk and pushed the hinges threw the car ,jacked up the car sub frame fell out lol .the guy was upfront with me about it just looked to good oh well
sold off some parts got my money back and the seats will look good in my 77 as well as the grill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts